Old 06-06-2007, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Worms in my pears

I have small white worms in my pears. After a while they go black and
fall off. This has happen for several years now. Don't know what to
do. Any suggestions ?

Image:
http://hem.bredband.net/b233107/pear.JPG

Regards
john rehn

Old 06-06-2007, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"rehn" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have small white worms in my pears. After a while they go black and
fall off. This has happen for several years now. Don't know what to
do. Any suggestions ?

Image:
http://hem.bredband.net/b233107/pear.JPG

Regards
john rehn

That's probably codling moths. If you google on codling moth, you'll find
quite a variety of competing methods for codling moth control, depending on
whether you favour the 'organic' or 'natural' or chemical approach, too many
to list here.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 6, 8:29 pm, "BAC" wrote:
"rehn" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have small white worms in my pears. After a while they go black and
fall off. This has happen for several years now. Don't know what to
do. Any suggestions ?

Image:
http://hem.bredband.net/b233107/pear.JPG

Regards
john rehn

That's probably codling moths. If you google on codling moth, you'll find
quite a variety of competing methods for codling moth control, depending on
whether you favour the 'organic' or 'natural' or chemical approach, too many
to list here.

Thanks for response. I have googled on "codling moth" pear and got
68000 hits.....
But it seems like this is something else, no entrance hole, and the
worms are
smaller. Codling moth seems to be what I use to call "apple worms"
Nearby apple trees are not infected.
The pears becomes black and drops when they are about the size of a
hazel nut.

Regards
john rehn

Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

rehn wrote:
I have small white worms in my pears. After a while they go black and
fall off. This has happen for several years now. Don't know what to
do. Any suggestions ?

Image:
http://hem.bredband.net/b233107/pear.JPG

It's probably Pear Midge. We get it some years - someyears it is very bad.
Sorry but I've no suggestions as to what to do about it.

Jim
Old 08-06-2007, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim Jackson" wrote in message
rehn wrote:
I have small white worms in my pears. After a while they go black and
fall off. This has happen for several years now. Don't know what to
do. Any suggestions ?

Image:
http://hem.bredband.net/b233107/pear.JPG

It's probably Pear Midge. We get it some years - someyears it is very bad.
Sorry but I've no suggestions as to what to do about it.

Jim

It is definitely Pear midge damage.
We have pear midge on a Williams Pear, could never control it so asked the
RHS pest dept! there are apparently no approved chemical sprays, they
suggested the removal of all effected pears (obviously have much smaller
pear trees than us!) but the other advice was better, plant different
varieties as pear midge is a very short season pest and if a pear flowers
just a week or two later it can escape damage and this has proved the case
as a nearby 'Conference' is unaffected.
You can also break the cycle by preventing the falling pearlets from
reaching the ground, as those little white maggots have to overwinter in the
ground to complete the life cycle.
I have to admit that we always get some pears on the Williams despite pear
midge and as they don't keep I am not sure what we would do with the surplus
:~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

... rehn wrote:
[...]

Thanks for info.
Have checked for Pear midge on the net and it is definitely what I
have.
What I will try is to catch the falling pears in a net, the kind net
that are used to harvest olives.
What worries me is that I read somewhere the maggots might leave the
pears before the fell, so maybe I have to put something on the ground
too.
One others thing I also found out is that it might help to cover the
ground in the spring. If I use all possible means I might break their
life cycle.

Regards
John Rehn

Old 08-06-2007, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Let us know next year how its gone.