Old 20-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Japanese White Pine Question

"Growing bonsai indoors is best left to those with lots of experience, not
those just starting out."

So I'm guessing even those sold as "indoor bonsai" are just barely able to
be kept alive for a rank amature?

It depends. When I lived in a house with a sunporch, indoor bonsai
were easy: my serissa *flourished*. Some people on this list have
cool conservatories, or elaborate lighting and humidifying systems.
Any of these things make indoor bonsai possible. Maybe even
junipers. However, the average person with a sunny windowsill has to
bite the bullet. I keep my "indoor" bonsai outdoors as much as
possible, and consider their winter confinment to be a necessary
evil. Also, as I will be the first to admit, my indoor bonsai are
spindly, crummy looking specimens, not real bonsai. They are more
like beloved pets. My real bonsai are outdoor bonsai. If I lived in
Florida, like Jim, I'd have tropical plants that would STILL be
outdoor bonsai. Because nothing beats outdoor conditions for
vigorous, healthy, attractive plants.

Now I am disabled and more able to devote time to one, and more than willing
to read and learn, and happy I found this newsgroup too, is there any
suggestion as to which is heartier for indoors.
Where I live now I can't give any plant a south facing window, would a plant
light help or should I continue looking and learning?

Perhaps this is sacrilege, but have you considered orchids? Or
pachycauls? There are lots of wonderful plants in the world that are
easier to keep indoors than bonsai. If I didn't have bonsai, I think
I'd collect Dorstenia.

--
Nina Shishkoff

Riverhead, NY