Old 08-06-2007, 01:32 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.chem
Sassman Sassman is offline

Default do all leaves and branches make the soil more acid??

a_plutonium wrote:
I know that pine needles acidify the soil and that oak leaves also
acidify the soil. But what about all other
kinds of leaves and branches? Is it only pine and oak leaves and
branches? I would think that all green
leaves and branches acidify the soil. I did some searching but found
no research that addresses this question.

Basically I want to know if all green leaves and branches act to
acidify the soil when used as a mulch?

I cannot think of any alkali or salts in plant tissue, so that plant
leaves and branches are either acid or
neutral.

Almost all soil organic matter is acidic and comes from plants for the
most part. So I think the answer is yes.
---
www.analyticalchem.com