Old 09-06-2007, 03:30 AM posted to austin.gardening
jangchub jangchub is offline

Default Taking out undesireable trees (was) Need a tomato expert to help!

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 17:24:37 -0500, Treedweller
wrote:

What can I say? I'm a tree guy. They live and grow, so removing them
kills a living thing (notwithstanding the fact that it's awfully hard
to kill a hackberry). Also, they serve as habitat for untold other
critters. I talk to them as I work, and at times I feel like I get
an answer. I have a bumper sticker (cut-and-pasted from "Keep Austin
Reading" library stickers) that says "I speak tree." For those who
may be wondering about my sanity now, I acknowledge being less than
100% serious.

Since you surely know most people think the idea that a bug may be
sentient is wacko, this doesn't seem like such a stretch to me. But
I'm not trying to judge you--I was just curious.

Oh, I surely didn't think you were judging me at all. I was giving
you my real answer! LOL. Truth be told, no matter how much I hate
the seedlings everywhere on the property from one 40 foot hackberry,
I'd probably never cut it down. There is a cardinal nest in the one I
have now. So, me speak-um tree too!

The meaning of sentient is any living creature which has
consciousness. Insects suffer when they drown. I save them from the
pool, hopefully soon enough. I can't tell you how many insects I blow
on to see them rise and fly away. That makes my life worth while.
Truly.

Victoria