Old 08-06-2007, 01:46 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Need a tomato expert to help!

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 16:25:13 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

rofl I can so relate...

I can't afford car payments for a hybrid, and my dad (who lives with me)
would be scared to death for me if I got a motorcycle or similar vehicle!

Funny isn't it that those that we love tend to rule our lives? :-)

I'd not have it any other way...

That's the other option; a hybrid. I am waiting until they can make
a decent hybrid with amazing mileage. I don't WANT a car payment. We
have virtually no debt. A few hundred on a credit card because I pay
for everything with it and it's paid at the end of the month.

Mark doesn't rule over my life, but as his wife I do owe him a certain
level of reverance because he is probably right in this case!

Old 08-06-2007, 01:52 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Taking out undesireable trees (was) Need a tomato expert to help!

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 20:15:10 -0500, Treedweller
wrote:

PS How does this jibe with your no-kill buddhism? I'm seriously
asking, though I can see how this might sound like a smart-ass quip.
If you decide to keep the tree, a qualified arborist can evaluate the
risk and help you find ways to mitigate.

A tree is not a sentient being that we know of. It does not have
consciousness. While Buddhists believe a consciousness can reside in
a tree, which would be considered one of the hell realms, trees are
not sentient.

We are constantly killing every time we breath. There isn't an atom
of space where a sentient being is. When we walk, we crush insects,
when we shower we kill bacterial, etc. If we are mndful of the lives
we take daily, we purify with sincerity for anything you killed
without knowing, or

Why do you consider taking out a tree as going against Buddhism and
the tenet of no killing?

Old 08-06-2007, 02:08 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

rofl I can so relate...

I can't afford car payments for a hybrid, and my dad (who lives with me)
would be scared to death for me if I got a motorcycle or similar vehicle!

Funny isn't it that those that we love tend to rule our lives? :-)

I'd not have it any other way...

That's the other option; a hybrid. I am waiting until they can make
a decent hybrid with amazing mileage. I don't WANT a car payment. We
have virtually no debt. A few hundred on a credit card because I pay
for everything with it and it's paid at the end of the month.

I'm waiting for an affordable hybrid.
I cannot afford to make car payments until the morgage is paid off.
That's another 4 years yet.

My current vehicle was new in 1999. I'm praying it lasts.

Mark doesn't rule over my life, but as his wife I do owe him a certain
level of reverance because he is probably right in this case!

I meant that in a _good_ way V...

I'd be very unhappy if I did not have someone around that cared about me.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:24 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

[...]

What can I say? I'm a tree guy. They live and grow, so removing them
kills a living thing (notwithstanding the fact that it's awfully hard
to kill a hackberry). Also, they serve as habitat for untold other
critters. I talk to them as I work, and at times I feel like I get
an answer. I have a bumper sticker (cut-and-pasted from "Keep Austin
Reading" library stickers) that says "I speak tree." For those who
may be wondering about my sanity now, I acknowledge being less than
100% serious.

Since you surely know most people think the idea that a bug may be
sentient is wacko, this doesn't seem like such a stretch to me. But
I'm not trying to judge you--I was just curious.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:37 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:
" For those who
may be wondering about my sanity now, I acknowledge being less than
100% serious.

On second thought, I would say I am 100% serious about entertaining
the possibility, but less than 100% confident it is right.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:41 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:
" For those who
may be wondering about my sanity now, I acknowledge being less than
100% serious.

On second thought, I would say I am 100% serious about entertaining
the possibility, but less than 100% confident it is right.

I think trees have souls.
Ever meditated sitting on the roots of a giant Cypress? :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:30 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

What can I say? I'm a tree guy. They live and grow, so removing them
kills a living thing (notwithstanding the fact that it's awfully hard
to kill a hackberry). Also, they serve as habitat for untold other
critters. I talk to them as I work, and at times I feel like I get
an answer. I have a bumper sticker (cut-and-pasted from "Keep Austin
Reading" library stickers) that says "I speak tree." For those who
may be wondering about my sanity now, I acknowledge being less than
100% serious.

Since you surely know most people think the idea that a bug may be
sentient is wacko, this doesn't seem like such a stretch to me. But
I'm not trying to judge you--I was just curious.

Oh, I surely didn't think you were judging me at all. I was giving
you my real answer! LOL. Truth be told, no matter how much I hate
the seedlings everywhere on the property from one 40 foot hackberry,
I'd probably never cut it down. There is a cardinal nest in the one I
have now. So, me speak-um tree too!

The meaning of sentient is any living creature which has
consciousness. Insects suffer when they drown. I save them from the
pool, hopefully soon enough. I can't tell you how many insects I blow
on to see them rise and fly away. That makes my life worth while.
Truly.

Victoria

AVS Fencing NEW Expert Help Pages Jo AVS Marketplace 0 26-08-2010 12:30 PM
Expert tree help please Broadback United Kingdom 3 23-07-2006 01:55 PM
Need Expert Advice Norm Ponds 6 28-07-2004 07:02 AM
Need Expert Advice Norm Ponds 0 27-07-2004 05:44 PM
Help! Need expert quotes ASAP!! Robyn Rhudy Ponds 4 24-09-2003 04:08 AM