Old 09-06-2007, 11:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
[email protected] wdcrockett@pcisys.net is offline

Default Question about an unusual pond set up

On May 31, 9:27 am, Stephen Henning wrote:
"Paul M." wrote:
I have constructed a pond that does not recirculate water, but
intercepts well water from a campus cooling system and runs it through
the pond prior to flowing into the storm sewer. The water is cool
and clear, but tends to warm up while it moves through the pond. Temp
can be regulated by the rate of well water flow through the pond.

I have virtually the same thing. Mine is an old mortar and stone
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') swimming pool that is spring fed. We
filled in the deep end so that it is 4' at the deepest. The pond fills
in about 24 hours from the springs. The overflow goes into the storm
drain which goes into a creek. The spring water's temperature is 50 F.
The pond's temperature gets up to 70 F by the middle of summer. When
first filled with water, it quickly covered over with string algae.
€ Fertilized water lilies in early May with Once-A-Year Aquatic-Spikes
from AgSafe (a div. of AgriTab Corp., Clearfield UT). They contain:
Ureaform, Amoniam Phosphate, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate,
Calcium Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Sucrate, Magnesium Sucrate,
Magnesium Sulfate, Manganese Sucrate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sucrate,
and Zinc Sulfate in a time release format. The are safe for fish and
other aquatic life. The nitrogen in their formulation is 70% ammonium
based and 30% nitrate based.

No filter, no UV, no water pump, no Koi, no problem.

I am in zone 6 and get a lot of hot weather in the summer and cold
weather in the winter.

Nice! I
suppose the constant flow of fresh water into the pond and the flow
out of the pond helps to maintain it's eco balance.
That we all could have a spring fed pond! Yeah!!!! :-)))

Look forward to seeing more pictures...
Dale