Old 10-06-2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Botom drain in winter?

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 20:25:10 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

How do I close off the bottom drain in winter? Do they come with some kind
of valve?

Also, if I remove the water from my buried filter (blue plastic barrel) will
the frost crush it? Should I put it in a large plywood box to be safe?

My bottom drain will have a ball valve about 2 feet under ground as the
shut off before it enters the filter, so that's what I'll shut. This is how
the D.pond was done. I empty 2 of my barrels and all barrels of the D.pond
in winter, and never had a problem with crushing. The barrels used are
commercial grade juice barrels in Zone 6-7. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us