Old 10-06-2007, 03:25 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Botom drain in winter?

How do I close off the bottom drain in winter? Do they come with some kind
of valve?

Also, if I remove the water from my buried filter (blue plastic barrel) will
the frost crush it? Should I put it in a large plywood box to be safe?

Old 10-06-2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 20:25:10 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

How do I close off the bottom drain in winter? Do they come with some kind
of valve?

Also, if I remove the water from my buried filter (blue plastic barrel) will
the frost crush it? Should I put it in a large plywood box to be safe?

My bottom drain will have a ball valve about 2 feet under ground as the
shut off before it enters the filter, so that's what I'll shut. This is how
the D.pond was done. I empty 2 of my barrels and all barrels of the D.pond
in winter, and never had a problem with crushing. The barrels used are
commercial grade juice barrels in Zone 6-7. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-06-2007, 06:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

How do I close off the bottom drain in winter? Do they come with some kind
of valve?

Also, if I remove the water from my buried filter (blue plastic barrel) will
the frost crush it? Should I put it in a large plywood box to be safe?

Aren't you in Texas Bill? I'm thinking Austin. Sorry for rambling.

I installed a knife valve between the pond drain and filter barrels,
but I just use it for flushing the drain pipe, never for shutting off
over winter. In fact I would think most of us would want to leave
it filled over winter. I'm in Zone 8 and seldom get 1/2" of ice in a
pond, but never had a lotus pot, or maypop container (1/2 barrels,
soap barrels from a car wash supplier.) to split from freezing
either. They are annoying as half barrels in that they don't hold a
round shape when split and used above ground as pots, but other than
that, no real barrel casualties.

Regards,

Hal

Old 10-06-2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

No, Zone 5A here.

I'll probably build a box for them, just because the thought of digging them
up for maintenace is scary.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:22:05 CST, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

No, Zone 5A here.

I'll probably build a box for them, just because the thought of digging them
up for maintenace is scary.

Easier to deal with. I will never dig mine up, but cleaning filter
barrels is done with a Shop Vac. Maintenance would be easier if I
could simply flush and drain allowing the water to run downhill, but
my space is limited and burying them seemed the best option for me at
the time.

I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide. Moving South would
be good too.

Regards,

Hal

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

DO I NEED TO DRAIN POND IN WINTER? norraandchris Ponds (alternative) 7 15-08-2003 04:11 AM
DIY Skimmer/Bottom Drain/Gaskets RichToyBox Ponds 0 29-03-2003 01:56 AM
[IBC] drain clogs Jim Wilson Bonsai 2 01-03-2003 06:16 PM
Filter, skimmer, bottom drain...how many pumps? BenignVanilla Ponds 11 03-02-2003 09:41 PM
Soil from drain lake: Safe? mary Gardening 3 30-01-2003 02:12 PM