Old 10-06-2007, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Pinus montezumae

On 10/6/07 09:02, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Does anyone know of a supplier of these? I've given a customer the list
from the Plant Finder but none has it.

It has always been extremely rare in the UK and normally only seen in
country house estates and arboreta. Paignton Zoo have it, but I'm not
sure how long ago it was planted. An enquiry to their plants chappy
may reveal a source. Failing that, I suspect your customer will have
to extend his search to France. Although it is many years ago, I
remember montezumae being quite widely available amongst the wholesale
nurseries over there.

Thanks, David. I've suggested he talks to the chap at Dartington and also
the Plant for a Future database centre. I'll mention the France idea to
him. Apparently Exeter University had a wonderful one but it's gone. I
don't think they're very long lived and have no idea at what age they
produce seed.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk