Old 10-06-2007, 09:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
[email protected] wdcrockett@pcisys.net is offline

Default Clear as Crystal?

On Jun 10, 12:20 pm, Ralph & His Clowder
wrote:
Has anyone tried Clear as Crystal by Clear Pond? Main ingredients are
Laumontite Crystal & Calcium Aluminum Silicate. It is said to slowly
clear cloudy or dirty water and keep ponds clear for up to three months,
at which time you're supposed to replace the bags. It says remaining
crystals are safe for fish to eat.

My questions: Is it also safe for plants? And the biggie, does it work?

I saw it at PetSmart. Most of the information I've found through Google
is either from people selling the product or a bit to scientific for my
wee brain to wade through.

Gabrielle in southern Arizona

Hi Gabriella,
In my first season, I tried commercial methods to clear up my pond.
They worked: for a while and then you had to keep doing it. During
the second season, I started using water cress, water hyacinths, and
other plants to clear up the water (along with my bio/mech filter and
now a veggie filter) Since that time, I usually experience one really
good algae bloom during the early part of spring and after that, I am
the envy of my neighbors that have bonds. Water remains clear to
crystal clear through the end of the season (for us in Colorado
Springs that is around Thanksgiving). In short, yes, it probably
works. However I think you will be much happier in the long run by
working on the ecosystem of your pond. Finding that balance that
keeps the water clear for you.
Just my opinion. Hope it helps
Dale