Old 10-06-2007, 07:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Clear as Crystal?

Has anyone tried Clear as Crystal by Clear Pond? Main ingredients are
Laumontite Crystal & Calcium Aluminum Silicate. It is said to slowly
clear cloudy or dirty water and keep ponds clear for up to three months,
at which time you're supposed to replace the bags. It says remaining
crystals are safe for fish to eat.

My questions: Is it also safe for plants? And the biggie, does it work?

I saw it at PetSmart. Most of the information I've found through Google
is either from people selling the product or a bit to scientific for my
wee brain to wade through.

Gabrielle in southern Arizona

Old 10-06-2007, 09:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jun 10, 12:20 pm, Ralph & His Clowder
wrote:
Has anyone tried Clear as Crystal by Clear Pond? Main ingredients are
Laumontite Crystal & Calcium Aluminum Silicate. It is said to slowly
clear cloudy or dirty water and keep ponds clear for up to three months,
at which time you're supposed to replace the bags. It says remaining
crystals are safe for fish to eat.

My questions: Is it also safe for plants? And the biggie, does it work?

I saw it at PetSmart. Most of the information I've found through Google
is either from people selling the product or a bit to scientific for my
wee brain to wade through.

Gabrielle in southern Arizona

Hi Gabriella,
In my first season, I tried commercial methods to clear up my pond.
They worked: for a while and then you had to keep doing it. During
the second season, I started using water cress, water hyacinths, and
other plants to clear up the water (along with my bio/mech filter and
now a veggie filter) Since that time, I usually experience one really
good algae bloom during the early part of spring and after that, I am
the envy of my neighbors that have bonds. Water remains clear to
crystal clear through the end of the season (for us in Colorado
Springs that is around Thanksgiving). In short, yes, it probably
works. However I think you will be much happier in the long run by
working on the ecosystem of your pond. Finding that balance that
keeps the water clear for you.
Just my opinion. Hope it helps
Dale

Old 10-06-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Has anyone tried Clear as Crystal by Clear Pond? Main ingredients are
Laumontite Crystal & Calcium Aluminum Silicate. It is said to slowly
clear cloudy or dirty water and keep ponds clear for up to three months,
at which time you're supposed to replace the bags. It says remaining
crystals are safe for fish to eat.

My questions: Is it also safe for plants? And the biggie, does it work?

I saw it at PetSmart. Most of the information I've found through Google
is either from people selling the product or a bit too scientific for my
[...]

I've been pretty much "natural" for over two years now. I do
periodically add koi clay & bacteria plus dechlorinator when I add
water, but I don't use algaecides and don't want to.

My 1500 gallon pond has one waterfall filter with a small settling pond
-- both filled with water hyacinth -- a 75 gallon Skippy filter that has
WH at the top so it is also a veggie filter, a small mechanical filter.
The pond itself is about 20 -30% covered with water hyacinth, water
lettuce, and parrots feather that are all still spreading.
www.clowder.net/cats/Turtles/pondcam.html
http://www.clowder.net/cats/Turtles/pondcam.html

I have had clear water from late November, when it cools down, to
mid-March when it starts seriously warming up here in southern Arizona.
Then the water starts getting murky due to the heat, the increased
bioload, etc. I haven't had pea soup this year, just some string and
blanket weed, which I tolerate in most spots. I don't mind slightly
murky water but would like to see more of my pond, which is why I was
considering the Clear as Crystal product which is billed as "all natural".

The blurb says "Clear as Crystal is a unique form of Laumontite Crystal,
Calcium Aluminum Silicate and when placed into pond water, produces
oxygen, balances pH, purifies water through an ion exchange process,
reducing toxic levels of ammonia, contains essential minerals that are
utilized by the fish to keep them healthy and their color bright and
will keep your pond clean and Clear as Crystal."

I'd still like to know if anyone has tried it or knows anything about it
and whether it would be safe for plants as well as fish and turtles.

Gabrielle in southern Arizona

Old 10-06-2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

This is Solo's write up on veggie filters if
you are interested in exploring that option.

"The essence of a plant filter is a water proof container with the
water from the pond
being pumped in one end flowing thru the roots of various plants and
flowing back
into the pond at the other end.
It needs to be long enough that solids settle to the bottom OR have
filter material
that will slow or hold the solids (and get rinsed out periodically).
It needs plants of different kinds to maximize removal of all wastes.
it needs sufficient amount of plants to remove in one day all the
wastes produced by
the fish load in one day. It needs plants with extensive roots and/or
plants that get big so they used up more
nutrients. It needs to be only 8-12" deep so it doesnt go anaerobic."

Good filtering plants that many RPMers use are
water hyacinth
water cress
water celery
water iris

I like watercress as it gets going really early in the
spring. Water hyacinth take over when the weather
gets hot. Both mulitply like crazy.
Water celery is also a good grower (just don't have
any experience with it).

k :-)
http://tinyurl.com/6bguh ~ new pond keeper info
http://tinyurl.com/yp64db ~ slide show of pond

Old 11-06-2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I guess my original post should have noted I already have water hyacinth
that is growing like crazy, including in the top of the Skippy filter
and in the settling pond at the foot of the waterfall filter (both of
which double as veggie filters), and in the waterfall filter, and in the
pond itself. I also have parrots feather that is threatening to take
over the world and water lettuce that is just starting to spread. I have
aeration in the form of two small waterfalls and two solar aerators. I
add bacteria and occasionally koi clay but that's about it, except for
dechlorinator when I add water.

I am a believer in keeping my 3-year-old pond as natural as possible in
an artificial setting, which is why I was attracted to the "all natural"
label on the Clear as Crystal and want to know if it could help me
through the murky summer months. I've had limited success using koi clay
and thought this might be something similar but more effective.

k wrote:

This is Solo's write up on veggie filters if you are interested in exploring that option.

8 snip

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Pond Sludge - To clear or not to clear? MB United Kingdom 24 13-09-2006 12:15 PM
FREE Bird& Crystal Festival Phyllis Hammer Gardening 0 14-04-2004 01:02 AM
Crystal Orchid Question Shell91 Orchids 0 23-09-2003 02:24 AM
Crystal clear water!!!! DaBear Ponds 1 31-08-2003 01:02 PM
Is Crystal litter same as... Brian Martin Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM