Old 10-06-2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default Botom drain in winter?

"Hal" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 20:25:10 CST, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

How do I close off the bottom drain in winter? Do they come with some kind
of valve?

Also, if I remove the water from my buried filter (blue plastic barrel)
will
the frost crush it? Should I put it in a large plywood box to be safe?

Aren't you in Texas Bill? I'm thinking Austin. Sorry for rambling.

I installed a knife valve between the pond drain and filter barrels,
but I just use it for flushing the drain pipe, never for shutting off
over winter. In fact I would think most of us would want to leave
it filled over winter. I'm in Zone 8 and seldom get 1/2" of ice in a
pond, but never had a lotus pot, or maypop container (1/2 barrels,
soap barrels from a car wash supplier.) to split from freezing
either. They are annoying as half barrels in that they don't hold a
round shape when split and used above ground as pots, but other than
that, no real barrel casualties.

Regards,

Hal

No, Zone 5A here.

I'll probably build a box for them, just because the thought of digging them
up for maintenace is scary.