Old 11-06-2007, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default Hardening off needed now?

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
I know you need to harden things off in Spring and know what happens

if you
do not but do you need to do it now?
I have Cannas and Pumpkins in the greenhouse that need to go out at

some
stage over the next 3 weeks.
Do I need to harden them off first? Right now they are sitting in

pots on
greenhouse staging.

Ta,
Des in Dublin

It all depends on the night temperature, say 2 am, as you want to
prevent a shock to the plant's system. Best to put the plants outside
during the day and back inside during the night and gradually harden
them off in this way. I have a three-way thermostat which I find
invaluable for this purpose.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.