Old 11-06-2007, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hardening off needed now?

I know you need to harden things off in Spring and know what happens if you
do not but do you need to do it now?
I have Cannas and Pumpkins in the greenhouse that need to go out at some
stage over the next 3 weeks.
Do I need to harden them off first? Right now they are sitting in pots on
greenhouse staging.

Ta,
Des in Dublin

Old 11-06-2007, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:

I know you need to harden things off in Spring and know what happens if you
do not but do you need to do it now?
I have Cannas and Pumpkins in the greenhouse that need to go out at some
stage over the next 3 weeks.
Do I need to harden them off first? Right now they are sitting in pots on
greenhouse staging.

Oi Dazza, just stare menacingly at the cannas, and maybe give one or two
of the pumpkins a swift Glasgow kiss. That should harden them up a bit.
They'll probably start effin' and blindin' which should be proof that
they're sufficiently hardened.

And get yer hair cut, and shave that stubble.

P.s. best to all yous yins ;-)
Old 11-06-2007, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
I know you need to harden things off in Spring and know what happens

if you
do not but do you need to do it now?
I have Cannas and Pumpkins in the greenhouse that need to go out at

some
stage over the next 3 weeks.
Do I need to harden them off first? Right now they are sitting in

pots on
greenhouse staging.

Ta,
Des in Dublin

It all depends on the night temperature, say 2 am, as you want to
prevent a shock to the plant's system. Best to put the plants outside
during the day and back inside during the night and gradually harden
them off in this way. I have a three-way thermostat which I find
invaluable for this purpose.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Des Higgins writes
I know you need to harden things off in Spring and know what happens if you
do not but do you need to do it now?
I have Cannas and Pumpkins in the greenhouse that need to go out at some
stage over the next 3 weeks.
Do I need to harden them off first? Right now they are sitting in pots on
greenhouse staging.

If the night time temperatures in the greenhouse match the outside night
time temperatures, you should be OK. Suggest leaving the greenhouse
doors wide open at night and moving things towards the door before
finally putting them out.
--
Kay
Old 11-06-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"R.A.Omond" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:

I know you need to harden things off in Spring and know what happens if
you do not but do you need to do it now?
I have Cannas and Pumpkins in the greenhouse that need to go out at some
stage over the next 3 weeks.
Do I need to harden them off first? Right now they are sitting in pots
on greenhouse staging.

Oi Dazza, just stare menacingly at the cannas, and maybe give one or two
of the pumpkins a swift Glasgow kiss. That should harden them up a bit.
They'll probably start effin' and blindin' which should be proof that
they're sufficiently hardened.

And get yer hair cut, and shave that stubble.

We'll have to stop meeting like this.
I'll mail you in a mo.
My Pumpkins are just wee softies alright with posh accents an all.

Des

P.s. best to all yous yins ;-)

Hardening Off Plants Benign Vanilla Ponds 1 23-10-2004 04:56 PM
Hardening Off questions Leslie Gardening 9 11-04-2004 06:32 AM
Hardening off Neale United Kingdom 1 23-05-2003 10:32 AM
Hardening off in windy weather? Jon Shemitz Edible Gardening 0 15-05-2003 09:44 PM
Hardening off JimM United Kingdom 6 02-05-2003 08:20 AM