Old 30-03-2003, 12:20 PM

Default laying poison.

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
: In article , shannie
: writes
: But when you see a seven year old boy
: crying over his dead cat you have to put an appeal somewhere for people
: be more careful when baiting traps.
:
: Yes, it must be heartbreaking . . . as heartbreaking as seeing anyone
: weeping over the poor mutilated body of a bird needlessly mauled, but
: not eaten, by someone's cat.
:
: Shannie, firstly, let me say that I am very sorry to hear about your
: cats . . . but . . . do cat owners ever consider the effect their cats
: may have on other people's lives? People who do not like cats, people
: whose pets (even their own cats) are plagued by other people's cats,
: people who are allergic to cats, people whose plants, after months of
: TLC are continually dug up to be replaced by cat faeces etc etc.
:
: Do they ever consider that their cats may have been wreaking havoc in
: someone else's patch and that person is at the end of his/her tether. I
: don't say poison is justified, but, when driven to desperation, people
: do all sorts of out of character things.
:
: I know my mother was driven to distraction by a neighbour's cat that
: kept coming into her house and attacking her own cat. My mother didn't
: poison the intruder but she made such strong complaints to the owner
: that it eventually had to be put down: there was just no other solution.
:
: Ten years ago I would have been horrified at the thought of shooting a
: rabbit, but after observing the destruction caused by a rabbit take over
: of the garden, I now, sadly, have no compunction in shooting them.
:
: To all cat lovers/owners, please, please, be aware that there are always
: two sides to every story.
: --
: Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
: I won't respond to private emails that are on topic for urg
: but if you need to email me for any other reason,
: put jandg dot demon dot co dot uk where you see deadspam.com

I don't feel that this is the time to start lecturing Shannie. Losing
pets - especially in this way - can be quite a traumatic experience,
especially for a 7 year old. Surely it would be kinder to be a trifle more
diplomatic on this occasion.