Old 30-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Unique Too

Default Julie's Mystery Rose, Take Two!

Thank you Shiva!
I'm hoping someone can help me identify this rose.
I was sent cuttings and told they were from Reine des Violetts, but this rose
is quite throny. There are tiny prickles on the ribs of the leaves as well as
the flower stems.
My foliage photo didn't go thru to correctly, but there are 5 leaves on each
leaf set and they are light clear green. The rose seems to be very disease
resistant. It was not affected by blackspot last year. But the aphids do love
the new foliage, more so than my other roses.
I'm not sure if the photo shows the true color, but is looks pretty close on my
monitor. The blooms are pink to my eye, with lavender tones. Although I'm
sure some would call it mauve or lavender. It's much pinker than Angel Face
and lighter than Rose de Rescht. They come in clusters of three or singles on
short laterals off the main canes. The blooms are about 1 3/4 inches across.
I believe you can see in the photo how the inner petals remain folded over.
These center petals are white at the base. There are 125 petals. I would call
the bloom shape pompon. There is very little scent, nothing identifiable, what
I call living plant smell.
At age two the main canes are 5' tall, so far very flexible. They fall
slightly arching, almost horizontal making it appear a mature plant might
acheive a fountain shape.
It did sucker from the roots. I've already removed one plant and repotted it.

Anything else I should have added to my description?
All sugestions are welcomed!
TIA
Julie