Old 30-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Shiva

Default Julie's Mystery Rose, Take Two!

http://www.cotse.net/users/hypatia/mysrose.jpg

http://www.cotse.net/users/hypatia/mrthorns.jpg

http://www.cotse.net/users/hypatia/mysterybuds.jpg

P.S. Julie, next time send with no spaces in the file names!

Old 30-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Unique Too

Thank you Shiva!
I'm hoping someone can help me identify this rose.
I was sent cuttings and told they were from Reine des Violetts, but this rose
is quite throny. There are tiny prickles on the ribs of the leaves as well as
the flower stems.
My foliage photo didn't go thru to correctly, but there are 5 leaves on each
leaf set and they are light clear green. The rose seems to be very disease
resistant. It was not affected by blackspot last year. But the aphids do love
the new foliage, more so than my other roses.
I'm not sure if the photo shows the true color, but is looks pretty close on my
monitor. The blooms are pink to my eye, with lavender tones. Although I'm
sure some would call it mauve or lavender. It's much pinker than Angel Face
and lighter than Rose de Rescht. They come in clusters of three or singles on
short laterals off the main canes. The blooms are about 1 3/4 inches across.
I believe you can see in the photo how the inner petals remain folded over.
These center petals are white at the base. There are 125 petals. I would call
the bloom shape pompon. There is very little scent, nothing identifiable, what
I call living plant smell.
At age two the main canes are 5' tall, so far very flexible. They fall
slightly arching, almost horizontal making it appear a mature plant might
acheive a fountain shape.
It did sucker from the roots. I've already removed one plant and repotted it.

Anything else I should have added to my description?
All sugestions are welcomed!
TIA
Julie
Old 30-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Shiva

Unique Too wrote:

Thank you Shiva!

You're welcome, for some reason all I could do was Stupid Computer Tricks
last night. The second time, the bloom photo didn't show up at first, but
did later.

I'm hoping someone can help me identify this rose.
I was sent cuttings and told they were from Reine des Violetts, but this

rose is quite thorny.

I can see why someone might mistake the bloom for RdV, as it is close to
the right color and very shallow-cupped--but for sure the thorns give it
away as something else. My RdV is in its third year now, and ghosty little
plant with grey-green foliage, no thorns, and very small, shallow blooms
at the end of lonnnnng canes. An own-root from Michael's, it grows like a
climber here. I have pegged it, so now have sprouts every couple inches.

The rose seems to be very disease
resistant.

There's a good reason for keeping it!

Old 30-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Unique Too

"Shiva" writes:

You're welcome, for some reason all I could do was Stupid Computer Tricks
last night. The second time, the bloom photo didn't show up at first, but
did later.

SCT on my part is why the leaf photo didn't come through. I went through all
the motions, but didn't save it as a jpg file. My fault.

I can see why someone might mistake the bloom for RdV, as it is close to
the right color and very shallow-cupped--but for sure the thorns give it
away as something else. My RdV is in its third year now, and ghosty little
plant with grey-green foliage, no thorns, and very small, shallow blooms
at the end of lonnnnng canes. An own-root from Michael's, it grows like a
climber here. I have pegged it, so now have sprouts every couple inches.

Your RdV has no thorns at all? I was reminded by someone else that its only
"nearly thronless" but I don't see how anyone could call this one even nearly
thronless. They aren't large, but there are pleny of them. Even the backside
of the leaves and the flower stems have tiny prickles. Not something I would
want to brush up against daily.
I wouldn't call the foliage grey-green. If you have Bontannica's Roses, look
at Cardinal de Richelieu. Except for flower color that matches my rose
completely.
My blooms are on short laterals off the main canes, it does remind me of a
climber.
What about fragrance on yours? It's pretty much non exsistant on this one.
Certainly not a strong rosey smell.

The rose seems to be very disease
resistant.

There's a good reason for keeping it!

I keep reminding myself of that. I'm not sold on the blooms yet, but if it
stays clean it may well stay in my garden. After all I like pretty plants as
well as pretty blooms.
Old 31-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Shiva

Unique Too wrote:

SCT on my part is why the leaf photo didn't come through. I went

through all the motions, but didn't save it as a jpg file. My fault.

I tried renaming it several times. What I find interesting is that I can
SEE the photo, but cannot upload it to my web site. If you care to resend
with the extension fixed, I will post it. I think the leaves are important
to the id process.

Your RdV has no thorns at all?

None at all. It is a young plant, perhaps it will develop some. All in
all, it is a big disappointment due to the wimpy looking plant and the
small blooms. But I am hoping it will "blossom" once it has some age on it.

I was reminded by someone else that its only
"nearly thornless" but I don't see how anyone could call this one even

nearly thornless. They aren't large, but there are pleny of them.

I feel certain it is not RdV.

What about fragrance on yours? It's pretty much non exsistant on this

one.
Certainly not a strong rosey smell.

That is another disappointment. I smell nothing on mine. But, again, I
have heard that fragrance might develop over time--and that it largely
depends on when you stick your nose into the bloom.

Old 05-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Shiva

Well, bummer, looks like nobody can identify it. It is very pretty, anyway-
-for a pink rose!

Old 06-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Unique Too

Well, bummer, looks like nobody can identify it. It is very pretty, anyway-
-for a pink rose!

I was hoping someone would come up with an idea from here. But I am chasing a
couple of other leads. Or it may remain a mystery rose forever.