Old 12-06-2007, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default Tomato blooms - so many so quickly

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:50:06 -0700, Craig wrote:

I have a cherry tomato plant and a big boy tomato plant, both are
about 15" tall now,

They both are getting a lot of blooms already, especially the
cherry,

Should I let them continue or should I pull these blooms off now and
let the plant get bigger.

Thanks
Craig

I have about 10 tomato plants and the first red tomato from an "Early
Girl" will be picked this week. More blooms = more tomatoes to eat,
so I would not pull blooms off a tomato plant.

I presume that the plant has some kind of support or cage. When it gets
to the top of its' arbor, cage, or is about 4 ' to 5' tall, pick off the
growing tip of the vine. At any time you can start removing all the
little suckers that spring up between the branch and the trunk of the
vine. Actually, where ever you have a "V" and new growth tries to spring
up there, pick it off. Leave the flowers, they are your crop. Get some
bone meal worked gently into the soil around the tomatoes as this will
help the flowers, fruit, and roots. Do NOT apply any nitrogen, unless
you start seeing yellow leaves.

Bon Appetit,

Billy,