Old 12-06-2007, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomato blooms - so many so quickly

I have a cherry tomato plant and a big boy tomato plant, both are
about 15" tall now,

They both are getting a lot of blooms already, especially the
cherry,

Should I let them continue or should I pull these blooms off now and
let the plant get bigger.

Thanks
Craig

Old 12-06-2007, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:50:06 -0700, Craig wrote:

I have a cherry tomato plant and a big boy tomato plant, both are
about 15" tall now,

They both are getting a lot of blooms already, especially the
cherry,

Should I let them continue or should I pull these blooms off now and
let the plant get bigger.

Thanks
Craig

I have about 10 tomato plants and the first red tomato from an "Early
Girl" will be picked this week. More blooms = more tomatoes to eat,
so I would not pull blooms off a tomato plant.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Craig wrote:

I have a cherry tomato plant and a big boy tomato plant, both are
about 15" tall now,

They both are getting a lot of blooms already, especially the
cherry,

Should I let them continue or should I pull these blooms off now and
let the plant get bigger.

Thanks
Craig

Craig,

That is quite normal (especially with cherry tomatoes). Let the blooms
alone. Depending on the weather and the bees not all of them will set
tomatoes. If you do get too many tomatoes you can always give the
extras to the neighbors (that is what we do).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 12-06-2007, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:50:06 -0700, Craig wrote:

I have a cherry tomato plant and a big boy tomato plant, both are
about 15" tall now,

They both are getting a lot of blooms already, especially the
cherry,

Should I let them continue or should I pull these blooms off now and
let the plant get bigger.

Thanks
Craig

I have about 10 tomato plants and the first red tomato from an "Early
Girl" will be picked this week. More blooms = more tomatoes to eat,
so I would not pull blooms off a tomato plant.

I presume that the plant has some kind of support or cage. When it gets
to the top of its' arbor, cage, or is about 4 ' to 5' tall, pick off the
growing tip of the vine. At any time you can start removing all the
little suckers that spring up between the branch and the trunk of the
vine. Actually, where ever you have a "V" and new growth tries to spring
up there, pick it off. Leave the flowers, they are your crop. Get some
bone meal worked gently into the soil around the tomatoes as this will
help the flowers, fruit, and roots. Do NOT apply any nitrogen, unless
you start seeing yellow leaves.

Bon Appetit,

Billy,
Old 12-06-2007, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Craig" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a cherry tomato plant and a big boy tomato plant, both are
about 15" tall now,

They both are getting a lot of blooms already, especially the
cherry,

Should I let them continue or should I pull these blooms off now and
let the plant get bigger.

Thanks
Craig

I won't assume here. Answer depends on your end purpose. Most people, its
the fruit, the tomato, they are looking for. Your's may be different.
Waiting...
Dave

Old 12-06-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:50:06 -0700, Craig wrote:
I have a cherry tomato plant and a big boy tomato plant, both are
about 15" tall now,

They both are getting a lot of blooms already, especially the
cherry,

Should I let them continue or should I pull these blooms off now and
let the plant get bigger.

Let 'em grow. They know what to do -- they'll keep producing.
Keep the soil moisture level fairly constant -- don't let them go dry,
and don't use a fertilizer high in N.

Kay

..
Old 12-06-2007, 01:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill R wrote in news:466df9dc$0$16275
:

Craig,

That is quite normal (especially with cherry tomatoes). Let the blooms
alone. Depending on the weather and the bees not all of them will set
tomatoes. If you do get too many tomatoes you can always give the
extras to the neighbors (that is what we do).
--

Or call your local food kitchens/senior citizen homes and ask if they want
them. Most will GLADLY take fresh food in season.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 12, 3:42 am, Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:50:06 -0700, Craig wrote:
I have a cherry tomato plant and a big boy tomato plant, both are
about 15" tall now,

They both are getting a lot of blooms already, especially the
cherry,

Should I let them continue or should I pull these blooms off now and
let the plant get bigger.

Let 'em grow. They know what to do -- they'll keep producing.
Keep the soil moisture level fairly constant -- don't let them go dry,
and don't use a fertilizer high in N.

Kay

.

Thanks for the replies,
I was just wondering since this seemed unusual here in CO.

Seems they usually dont start blooming until July, maybe with June
rains they acted normal, been so long since we had a moderately wet
spring.

Even though we actually had a light frost the other morning, I only
saw frost on the roofs and it was in the mid 30s.
The airport had an actual freeze at 31 F. Latest freeze ever.

Okay I will be happy and let them bloom away,
Like I said though, it just seemed unusual for me here.

Thanks again

Old 12-06-2007, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 11, 8:50?pm, Craig wrote:
I have a cherry tomato plant and a big boy tomato plant, both are
about 15" tall now,

They both are getting a lot of blooms already, especially the
cherry,

Should I let them continue or should I pull these blooms off now and
let the plant get bigger.

Plants put out blooms for one reason, sex, they are attempting to
reproduce. If you pick the blooms the plant will put out even more
blooms as it's racing the clock to have sex. Unless you're some sort
of perverted sexual deviate pedophile leave the young blooms alone.
Once the fruits set pick them as soon as they're ripe, do not wait for
further ripening as tomatoes will continue to ripen off the vine...
the more fruit you pick the more fruit will be produced... the more
blossoms you pick the more blossoms will be produced but at the
expence of fewer fruits. Once there are ripening fruits on the vine
more of the plants energy will go to maturing its fruits and less will
go to producing new blooms. Plants are all about sex... when you eat
those ripe tumescent tomatoes with their juices dribbling down your
chin think of it as oral sex.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 06:11:37 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

On Jun 11, 8:50?pm, Craig wrote:
I have a cherry tomato plant and a big boy tomato plant, both are
about 15" tall now,

They both are getting a lot of blooms already, especially the
cherry,

Should I let them continue or should I pull these blooms off now and
let the plant get bigger.

Plants put out blooms for one reason, sex, they are attempting to
reproduce. If you pick the blooms the plant will put out even more
blooms as it's racing the clock to have sex. Unless you're some sort
of perverted sexual deviate pedophile leave the young blooms alone.
Once the fruits set pick them as soon as they're ripe, do not wait for
further ripening as tomatoes will continue to ripen off the vine...

But are they as flavorful as if you had left them to fully ripen on
the vine?

the more fruit you pick the more fruit will be produced... the more
blossoms you pick the more blossoms will be produced but at the
expence of fewer fruits. Once there are ripening fruits on the vine
more of the plants energy will go to maturing its fruits and less will
go to producing new blooms. Plants are all about sex... when you eat
those ripe tumescent tomatoes with their juices dribbling down your
chin think of it as oral sex.

Tsk, tsk, -- this IS a family NG g

Old 12-06-2007, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote in news:1181653897.377603.40170
@d30g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

On Jun 11, 8:50?pm, Craig wrote:
[...]

Sheldon,
Cancel our date.

FW
Old 13-06-2007, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 11, 8:50?pm, Craig wrote:
[...]

Gotta be a full moon, figuratively and astronomically.

- Billy