Old 12-06-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
beecrofter beecrofter is offline

Default bamboo in containers--what size?

On Jun 12, 9:49 am, Sardonimous wrote:
In article evpbi.2220$O15.1912@trnddc03,
"T r a v i s" wrote:

Without knowing where on Earth you are it is pretty difficult to say.

Try herehttp://www.americanbamboo.org/and here
http://www.bambooweb.info/.

Keep in mind that even clumping bamboo will eventually out grow any pot.

Travis, thanks for that. I meant to say that I am in the Seattle area
(too!). I didn't see much about growing bamboo in containers at the
site you referred me to. I did run into one that suggested 18" to 24"
deep containers which they consider shallow. Also, with 2" of styrofoam
lining but this was for New Jersey so perhaps around here a 1/2" of
cedar is enough? This was athttp://www.bamboos.com/grow.html.

3 things you must consider when growing in pots/containers

1, The containers will expose the rhizomes to cooler winter
temperatures than if they were in the ground, perhaps 2 full growing
zones less hardy
2, eventually to maintain robust growth you will need to root prune
or divide the plants
3 most of the clumping types are from the Himmalays and will not
tolerate a hot summer's sunny exposure..

Read up on Fargesia genus which are now produced comercially by tissue
culture and if your exposure will alow consider planting directly in
the ground, they are clumping types and won't run all over creation.