Old 12-06-2007, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default bamboo in containers--what size?

Hi,

Our concrete driveway is next to our northern neighbor's fence which is
not quite tall enough for my taste so I'd like to grow some bamboo in
containers next to the fence as a screen. How deep of a container would
I need to grow bamboo successfully? Any materials I should avoid?

TIA,

Sardo
Old 12-06-2007, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Sardonimous" wrote in message
Hi,

Our concrete driveway is next to our northern neighbor's fence which
is
not quite tall enough for my taste so I'd like to grow some bamboo in
containers next to the fence as a screen. How deep of a container
would
I need to grow bamboo successfully? Any materials I should avoid?

Without knowing where on Earth you are it is pretty difficult to say.

Try here http://www.americanbamboo.org/ and here
http://www.bambooweb.info/.

Keep in mind that even clumping bamboo will eventually out grow any pot.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 12-06-2007, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article evpbi.2220$O15.1912@trnddc03,
"T r a v i s" wrote:

Without knowing where on Earth you are it is pretty difficult to say.

Try here http://www.americanbamboo.org/ and here
http://www.bambooweb.info/.

Keep in mind that even clumping bamboo will eventually out grow any pot.

Travis, thanks for that. I meant to say that I am in the Seattle area
(too!). I didn't see much about growing bamboo in containers at the
site you referred me to. I did run into one that suggested 18" to 24"
deep containers which they consider shallow. Also, with 2" of styrofoam
lining but this was for New Jersey so perhaps around here a 1/2" of
cedar is enough? This was at http://www.bamboos.com/grow.html.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

"T r a v i s" wrote:

Without knowing where on Earth you are it is pretty difficult to say.

Try herehttp://www.americanbamboo.org/and here
http://www.bambooweb.info/.

Keep in mind that even clumping bamboo will eventually out grow any pot.

Travis, thanks for that. I meant to say that I am in the Seattle area
(too!). I didn't see much about growing bamboo in containers at the
site you referred me to. I did run into one that suggested 18" to 24"
deep containers which they consider shallow. Also, with 2" of styrofoam
lining but this was for New Jersey so perhaps around here a 1/2" of
cedar is enough? This was athttp://www.bamboos.com/grow.html.

I don't think you will grow any variety of bamboo very tall in pots,
certainly not tall enough to add more privacy height to an existing
privacy fence... without knowing what height you're speaking of all
anyone can offer is wild speculation. Were it me I would plant
something directly into the ground but bamboo is far too invasive...
there are plenty of evergreens that would work well, Canadian hemlock
and American arborvitae come to mind, but I'd not rule out planting
some grape vines. Grapes grow well in Oregon, are simple to grow, can
be easily trained to most any configuration and they leaf out early in
spring and hold their leaves late into fall, and offer perfect
screening... not to mention the grapes. One vine every ten feet will
offer an impenetable screen, a grape trellis is very easy to erect and
costs very little (some inexpensive pressure treated landscape ties
for posts, a spool of galvanized wire, and a box of galvanized
stapes... and you won't need to wait long, grapes grow at least as
fast as bamboo, probably faster. Grape vines cost very little and by
the second year you will be fully screened... grape leaves are very
edible too, dolmas are delicious.

Here is the grape arbor I erected for privacy at my last house, Long
Island, NY.... actually the chain link fence was mine but since there
I had only a small yard I decided not to box myself in with more of
that cedar privacy fence I used street side. Here I used pressure
treated slats for cross members but were I to do it again I'd use
galvanized wire. Sorry but I don't have a picture on my PC with the
grapes leafed out. In these pictures it's very early spring (my dwarf
sour cherry had just blossomed, wish I could have taken it) the vines
are just budding out, within two weeks the arbor would be fully
covered ten feet high and you'd see absolutely nothing through it but
it permits the breezes to pass, and attracts lovely birds, and was far
more relaxing to look at than any fence. Grapes make a lovely living
fence.

http://i11.tinypic.com/54lte0x.jpg

http://i15.tinypic.com/4ukcobk.jpg

Old 12-06-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"T r a v i s" wrote:

Without knowing where on Earth you are it is pretty difficult to say.

Try herehttp://www.americanbamboo.org/and here
http://www.bambooweb.info/.

Keep in mind that even clumping bamboo will eventually out grow any pot.

Travis, thanks for that. I meant to say that I am in the Seattle area
(too!). I didn't see much about growing bamboo in containers at the
site you referred me to. I did run into one that suggested 18" to 24"
deep containers which they consider shallow. Also, with 2" of styrofoam
lining but this was for New Jersey so perhaps around here a 1/2" of
cedar is enough? This was athttp://www.bamboos.com/grow.html.

3 things you must consider when growing in pots/containers

1, The containers will expose the rhizomes to cooler winter
temperatures than if they were in the ground, perhaps 2 full growing
zones less hardy
2, eventually to maintain robust growth you will need to root prune
or divide the plants
3 most of the clumping types are from the Himmalays and will not
tolerate a hot summer's sunny exposure..

Read up on Fargesia genus which are now produced comercially by tissue
culture and if your exposure will alow consider planting directly in
the ground, they are clumping types and won't run all over creation.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Sardonimous" wrote in message

Keep in mind that even clumping bamboo will eventually out grow any pot.

Travis, thanks for that. I meant to say that I am in the Seattle area
(too!).

I'm in Seattle as well and have bamboo growing in a pot 14" deep and 12"
across. It's a plain fiberglass pot with one drain hole in the bottom. I put
in about 2" of packing peanuts and then covered them with a couple of coffee
filters before adding the potting soil. It sits in the corner of an
uncovered, 3rd floor, SW facing balcony so it gets full sun all day. I've
had this in the same pot for 5 years now and it's doing fine. I foliar feed
it twice a month with liquid kelp starting in April and on through to mid
August. I can't remember the name of it now, it has black canes and
chartreuse leaves. I get about 3-4 new shoot a year and it's about 10-12
feet tall. You'll have to keep a close eye on it for water if you keep it in
a pot. If the leaves start to cup it means it needs a good drink. Depending
on the weather and temperature I water mine anywhere from once a week to
once day.

I also have creeping silver thyme in the pot that covers the entire soil
surface and spills over the sides of the pot and looks very pretty and they
seem to be quite happy sharing the same container. It drops only a few
leaves during the winter but other than that it's been pest free and a no
problem plant for me.

Val

Old 12-06-2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"T r a v i s" wrote:

Without knowing where on Earth you are it is pretty difficult to say.

Try here http://www.americanbamboo.org/ and here
http://www.bambooweb.info/.

Keep in mind that even clumping bamboo will eventually out grow any
pot.

Travis, thanks for that. I meant to say that I am in the Seattle area
(too!). I didn't see much about growing bamboo in containers at the
site you referred me to. I did run into one that suggested 18" to 24"
deep containers which they consider shallow. Also, with 2" of
styrofoam
lining but this was for New Jersey so perhaps around here a 1/2" of
cedar is enough? This was at http://www.bamboos.com/grow.html.

Ask here http://www.pnwbamboo.org/news.php or join one of the several
Yahoo bamboo groups.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 12-06-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

oups.com...
"T r a v i s" wrote:

[...]

Grape vines lose leaves in winter.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 12-06-2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

oups.com...

"T r a v i s" wrote:

[...]

No, they're deciduous.

Old 13-06-2007, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Sheldon expounded:

Grape vines lose leaves in winter.

No, they're deciduous.

Ummm......that's what deciduous means. The leaves drop for the
winter.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 13-06-2007, 05:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Sheldon expounded:

Grape vines lose leaves in winter.

No, they're deciduous.

Ummm......that's what deciduous means. The leaves drop for the
winter.

Does he mean all the way or just a little bit?
That reminds me, I got some Cimmeron cookies today. I don't mean
cinnamon cookies. These are made with completely different
"ingreedimints".

- Billy
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (welcome back Charkie)