Old 12-06-2007, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default bamboo in containers--what size?

"Sardonimous" wrote in message

Keep in mind that even clumping bamboo will eventually out grow any pot.

Travis, thanks for that. I meant to say that I am in the Seattle area
(too!).

I'm in Seattle as well and have bamboo growing in a pot 14" deep and 12"
across. It's a plain fiberglass pot with one drain hole in the bottom. I put
in about 2" of packing peanuts and then covered them with a couple of coffee
filters before adding the potting soil. It sits in the corner of an
uncovered, 3rd floor, SW facing balcony so it gets full sun all day. I've
had this in the same pot for 5 years now and it's doing fine. I foliar feed
it twice a month with liquid kelp starting in April and on through to mid
August. I can't remember the name of it now, it has black canes and
chartreuse leaves. I get about 3-4 new shoot a year and it's about 10-12
feet tall. You'll have to keep a close eye on it for water if you keep it in
a pot. If the leaves start to cup it means it needs a good drink. Depending
on the weather and temperature I water mine anywhere from once a week to
once day.

I also have creeping silver thyme in the pot that covers the entire soil
surface and spills over the sides of the pot and looks very pretty and they
seem to be quite happy sharing the same container. It drops only a few
leaves during the winter but other than that it's been pest free and a no
problem plant for me.

Val