Old 12-06-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
T r a v i s T r a v i s is offline

Default bamboo in containers--what size?

"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 12, 9:49?am, Sardonimous wrote:
In article evpbi.2220$O15.1912@trnddc03,
"T r a v i s" wrote:

Without knowing where on Earth you are it is pretty difficult to
say.

Try herehttp://www.americanbamboo.org/and here
http://www.bambooweb.info/.

Keep in mind that even clumping bamboo will eventually out grow any
pot.

Travis, thanks for that. I meant to say that I am in the Seattle
area
(too!). I didn't see much about growing bamboo in containers at the
site you referred me to. I did run into one that suggested 18" to
24"
deep containers which they consider shallow. Also, with 2" of
styrofoam
lining but this was for New Jersey so perhaps around here a 1/2" of
cedar is enough? This was athttp://www.bamboos.com/grow.html.

I don't think you will grow any variety of bamboo very tall in pots,
certainly not tall enough to add more privacy height to an existing
privacy fence... without knowing what height you're speaking of all
anyone can offer is wild speculation. Were it me I would plant
something directly into the ground but bamboo is far too invasive...
there are plenty of evergreens that would work well, Canadian hemlock
and American arborvitae come to mind, but I'd not rule out planting
some grape vines. Grapes grow well in Oregon, are simple to grow, can
be easily trained to most any configuration and they leaf out early in
spring and hold their leaves late into fall, and offer perfect
screening... not to mention the grapes. One vine every ten feet will
offer an impenetable screen, a grape trellis is very easy to erect and
costs very little (some inexpensive pressure treated landscape ties
for posts, a spool of galvanized wire, and a box of galvanized
stapes... and you won't need to wait long, grapes grow at least as
fast as bamboo, probably faster. Grape vines cost very little and by
the second year you will be fully screened... grape leaves are very
edible too, dolmas are delicious.

Here is the grape arbor I erected for privacy at my last house, Long
Island, NY.... actually the chain link fence was mine but since there
I had only a small yard I decided not to box myself in with more of
that cedar privacy fence I used street side. Here I used pressure
treated slats for cross members but were I to do it again I'd use
galvanized wire. Sorry but I don't have a picture on my PC with the
grapes leafed out. In these pictures it's very early spring (my dwarf
sour cherry had just blossomed, wish I could have taken it) the vines
are just budding out, within two weeks the arbor would be fully
covered ten feet high and you'd see absolutely nothing through it but
it permits the breezes to pass, and attracts lovely birds, and was far
more relaxing to look at than any fence. Grapes make a lovely living
fence.

http://i11.tinypic.com/54lte0x.jpg

http://i15.tinypic.com/4ukcobk.jpg

Grape vines lose leaves in winter.