Old 12-06-2007, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Tomato blooms - so many so quickly

Sheldon wrote in news:1181653897.377603.40170
@d30g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

On Jun 11, 8:50?pm, Craig wrote:
I have a cherry tomato plant and a big boy tomato plant, both are
about 15" tall now,

They both are getting a lot of blooms already, especially the
cherry,

Should I let them continue or should I pull these blooms off now and
let the plant get bigger.

Plants put out blooms for one reason, sex, they are attempting to
reproduce. If you pick the blooms the plant will put out even more
blooms as it's racing the clock to have sex. Unless you're some sort
of perverted sexual deviate pedophile leave the young blooms alone.
Once the fruits set pick them as soon as they're ripe, do not wait for
further ripening as tomatoes will continue to ripen off the vine...
the more fruit you pick the more fruit will be produced... the more
blossoms you pick the more blossoms will be produced but at the
expence of fewer fruits. Once there are ripening fruits on the vine
more of the plants energy will go to maturing its fruits and less will
go to producing new blooms. Plants are all about sex... when you eat
those ripe tumescent tomatoes with their juices dribbling down your
chin think of it as oral sex.

Sheldon,
Cancel our date.

FW