Old 13-06-2007, 06:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Amos Nomore Amos Nomore is offline

Default Mantis eating a hummingbird - warningXXX.JPG (1/1)

In article ,
Ann wrote:

This picture was taken by a fellow beekeeper. The murder happened in
his backyard!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...epl2006341.jpg

That is a fantastically cool picture! I am an equal fan of each
creature and don't enjoy watching either die, but the immediate horror
is vastly displaced by the wonder of nature. Insects eating birds is
simply spine-tingling.

When I was a kid I witnessed an identical event as that depicted while
watching hummers swarm all over a gigantic trumpet vine in the woods
near my house. I've also seen Chinese mantids catch and eat good-sized
tree frogs.

Nobody ever believed the stories.

Just to even the score - it is not uncommon for hummingbirds to locate
and decimate scads of hapless newly-hatched mantids as they emerge from
their egg cases. Heartbreaking.

But the wheel turns on and on

Attached Thumbnails
Mantis eating a hummingbird-warningxxx.jpg