Old 13-06-2007, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default artificial canes

"p. pleater" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham writes
I need some 4' canes that won't rot for use in display clematis. the
rods
that make modern tents stay up would be pretty good except I have no
idea
what they are made from or called to google for them!

Do what I did.
Look in Yellow Pages for a local Steel Stockist or Metal Stockist. They
should be able to supply any diameter cut to your length requirements.
Last year I bought a bundle of 5mm dia X 5ft long mild steel rods to use
as general purpose stakes at a very reasonable price.....and they will
outlast me !! The only downside is rust, but its no problem for me cos I
just wipe them with an oily rag prior to use.
This year I've bought some 9mm dia X 10ft long stainless steel rods for
my runner beans. Pricey but they will last for ever. A friend bought
some cheap redundant stock aluminium rectangular tubing (I'm guessing
about 30mm X 8mm) for his beans.
p.pleater.

Yes, I can get hold of metal but I should have said in the first place that
weight is an issue and they must be light weight.
I have since posting discovered model makers use glass fibre rods of exactly
the right diameter and colour (cheap too!) but unfortunately the standard
size is 1M and I need 1.2M (4') so I will have to keep looking. I may end up
having to join some.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk