Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default artificial canes

I need some 4' canes that won't rot for use in display clematis. the rods
that make modern tents stay up would be pretty good except I have no idea
what they are made from or called to google for them!
Anyone any suggestions?

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 12-06-2007, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:24:29 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

I need some 4' canes that won't rot for use in display clematis. the rods
that make modern tents stay up would be pretty good except I have no idea
what they are made from or called to google for them!
Anyone any suggestions?

You can buygreen plastic "canes" in garden centres. A friend of mine
has used them quite successfully. I'm not sure of size or price.

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-06-2007, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Green knobbly plastic covered steel tubing is available in garden
centres but whether or not there are 4 ft lengths. . . . . The ones I have
are 2
metres long.

Geoff

Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes
I need some 4' canes that won't rot for use in display clematis. the rods
that make modern tents stay up would be pretty good except I have no idea
what they are made from or called to google for them!

Fibreglass. I'd have thought the plastic suggestions would be cheaper.
--
Kay
Old 13-06-2007, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham writes
I need some 4' canes that won't rot for use in display clematis. the rods
that make modern tents stay up would be pretty good except I have no idea
what they are made from or called to google for them!

Fibreglass. I'd have thought the plastic suggestions would be cheaper.
--
Kay

Thanks for that I thought they might be.
If they last then price is not so important (although I need around 240 of
them!)

Old 13-06-2007, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Geoff" wrote in message
Green knobbly plastic covered steel tubing is available in garden
centres but whether or not there are 4 ft lengths. . . . . The ones I

have
are 2
metres long.

Geoff

I will take a look but I am not sure they will flex like a bamboo.

Old 13-06-2007, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I need some 4' canes that won't rot for use in display clematis. the rods
that make modern tents stay up would be pretty good except I have no idea
what they are made from or called to google for them!
Anyone any suggestions?

You can buygreen plastic "canes" in garden centres. A friend of mine
has used them quite successfully. I'm not sure of size or price.

Pam in Bristol

The ones I have seen have been shorter, but I will try googling and see if
anyone one has longer ones.

Old 13-06-2007, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham writes
I need some 4' canes that won't rot for use in display clematis. the
rods
that make modern tents stay up would be pretty good except I have no
idea
what they are made from or called to google for them!

Do what I did.
Look in Yellow Pages for a local Steel Stockist or Metal Stockist. They
should be able to supply any diameter cut to your length requirements.
Last year I bought a bundle of 5mm dia X 5ft long mild steel rods to use
as general purpose stakes at a very reasonable price.....and they will
outlast me !! The only downside is rust, but its no problem for me cos I
just wipe them with an oily rag prior to use.
This year I've bought some 9mm dia X 10ft long stainless steel rods for
my runner beans. Pricey but they will last for ever. A friend bought
some cheap redundant stock aluminium rectangular tubing (I'm guessing
about 30mm X 8mm) for his beans.
p.pleater.

Old 13-06-2007, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p. pleater" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham writes
[...]

Yes, I can get hold of metal but I should have said in the first place that
weight is an issue and they must be light weight.
I have since posting discovered model makers use glass fibre rods of exactly
the right diameter and colour (cheap too!) but unfortunately the standard
size is 1M and I need 1.2M (4') so I will have to keep looking. I may end up
having to join some.

Old 14-06-2007, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p. pleater" wrote in message

Look in Yellow Pages for a local Steel Stockist or Metal Stockist. They

should be able to supply any diameter cut to your length requirements.
Last year I bought a bundle of 5mm dia X 5ft long mild steel rods to use
as general purpose stakes at a very reasonable price.....and they will
outlast me !! The only downside is rust, but its no problem for me cos I
just wipe them with an oily rag prior to use.
This year I've bought some 9mm dia X 10ft long stainless steel rods for my
runner beans. Pricey but they will last for ever. A friend bought some
cheap redundant stock aluminium rectangular tubing (I'm guessing about
30mm X 8mm) for his beans.
p.pleater.

Spouse uses mild steel bar, rod and tubing for various applications. Some
years ago I asked for offcuts of rod to use to stake the outdoor tomatoes.
They were perfect, they haven't rusted more than over the surface and will
certainly outlast us. They're far better than bamboo because they never
split, never break and take up far less room when stored. They're almost
invisible too.
The only problem of using rods was protection for my face when I was tending
the plants. He drilled suitable holes in the base of champagne corks which
were fitted on the upper ends of the rods. I've kept them and re-used them
ever since, any which split (two to date) give an excuse for opening another
bottle ...

Aluminium is a more difficult metal. In the same way as slugs don't like
copper my runner beans don't seem to like Al. I have to force them into
climbing, they try to avoid touching the metal. Once they're made to climb
they're fine.

Mary

Old 14-06-2007, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p. pleater" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham writes
[...]

What about .....Kite maker suppliers, Aerial makers, Fishing Rod
manufacturers.....I have a cheep sea-angling rod which is made of
lengths of solid fibreglass.
p. pleater.

Old 14-06-2007, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mary Fisher writes

Aluminium is a more difficult metal. In the same way as slugs don't like
copper my runner beans don't seem to like Al. I have to force them into
climbing, they try to avoid touching the metal.

I'm not surprised - for many years, saucepans were made of aluminium ;-)
--
Kay
Old 14-06-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:

Mary Fisher writes

Aluminium is a more difficult metal. In the same way as slugs don't like
copper my runner beans don't seem to like Al. I have to force them into
climbing, they try to avoid touching the metal.

I'm not surprised - for many years, saucepans were made of aluminium ;-)

Ah, maybe that's part of my bean problem - what's chicken wire made of??
I bet it is Al. perhaps I should chance it for some more of the plastic
stuff.

beryl
Old 15-06-2007, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
The message
from K contains these words:

Mary Fisher writes

Aluminium is a more difficult metal. In the same way as slugs don't

like
copper my runner beans don't seem to like Al. I have to force them into
climbing, they try to avoid touching the metal.

I'm not surprised - for many years, saucepans were made of aluminium ;-)

Ah, maybe that's part of my bean problem - what's chicken wire made of??
I bet it is Al. perhaps I should chance it for some more of the plastic
stuff.

beryl

Its zinc coated steel/iron

Old 15-06-2007, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham writes

[...]

That's what I have found, now negotiating for 4' lengths instead of the 1M
they all seem to sell, I need 240 of them so am trying to look for a good
price per rod (wholesale seems to be around .35 euros, but a lot of the
retailers are charging over £1)

raspberry canes R United Kingdom 10 10-04-2003 08:44 AM
Discoloured Canes Heather Cross Roses 1 24-02-2003 08:09 PM
Raspberry canes John Cotterill United Kingdom 1 14-01-2003 10:24 PM
Moving raspberry canes Jo United Kingdom 2 24-11-2002 01:35 PM
Rasberry Canes / pruning Colin A Jacobs United Kingdom 1 29-09-2002 09:43 PM