Old 13-06-2007, 10:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_11_] Reel McKoi[_11_] is offline

Default Koi and Comets interbreeding and overpopulation

"old dirtbeard" wrote in message
et...
Hello all,

brevity snips

Although I am glad the pond is healthy and producing, I am concerned about
what to do about the potential overpopulation of the pond.

It's a constant problem in our ponds. Every year we have to drain down both
the 800g and 2000g ponds to remove the excess and unwanted fry. These small
fish are sold or traded for store credit locally. But we're getting tired
of all the extra work involved now that we're getting up in years. I've been
asking around about a hormone that may stop all the spawning. So far.... no
luck. We're considering pulling off the nets, selling off all the fish and
turning the ponds in to wildlife ponds.

Do you cull a pond? (I hate to think about this).

Yes, or the ponds would reach critical numbers of fish and crash.

If so, how is it done humanely?

Anything deformed or not salable for some reason is given to locals who want
fish for mosquito control. We're in a rural area so farm ponds abound.
These culls don't last long enough to breed in open ponds due to predation.

Thank you in advance. We rescue spiders in the house and release them
outdoors, so the idea of killing our pond inhabitants is not attractive.

I'm with you 100%. I'm against the killing of animals except for food.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.