Old 13-06-2007, 04:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Koi and Comets interbreeding and overpopulation

Hello all,

We have a 2,500 gallon pond, two 3,000 gal/hr pumps (usually only run one at
a time) with a stream and waterfalls here in Southern California. We had
three koi at one point but lost two (one to a dog raid on our pond and
another to physical problems). We have corrected both problems.

We now have a single koi and several comets, but they appear to be
inter-breeding.We now have a great many (a couple dozen fry and larger
offspring), some black, some mixed colors, etc.). My understanding is that
these mules are sterile, but it seems like everyday I see more fry.

Although I am glad the pond is healthy and producing, I am concerned about
what to do about the potential overpopulation of the pond.

Do you cull a pond? (I hate to think about this).

If so, how is it done humanely?

Thank you in advance. We rescue spiders in the house and release them
outdoors, so the idea of killing our pond inhabitants is not attractive.

best,

OD

Old 13-06-2007, 05:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Why do you think the comets are interbreeding with the Koi? Could it not be
that the comets are merely breeding amongst themselves?

As far as getting the fry out, with a pond that large I would suggest using
a minnow trap. The kind you buy at a fishing or sporting goods store that
ususally looks like a tunnel with two funnels, one at each end. They allow
the fry to enter but not leave (sort of like "Hotel California").

Once you have them out of the pond there are several things you could try.
Is there a local pond or aquarium club where your could sell or trade them?
How about to a local fish or pet store? Other hobbyists or ponders?

If there is no other option there are several ways to humanely euthanize
fish but I will leave it to others to describe the methods.
et...

Old 13-06-2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

you need a few orfes in there to get rid of the eggs. they are
natural birth control. Ingrid

Old 13-06-2007, 10:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"old dirtbeard" wrote in message
et...
Hello all,

brevity snips

Although I am glad the pond is healthy and producing, I am concerned about
what to do about the potential overpopulation of the pond.

It's a constant problem in our ponds. Every year we have to drain down both
the 800g and 2000g ponds to remove the excess and unwanted fry. These small
fish are sold or traded for store credit locally. But we're getting tired
of all the extra work involved now that we're getting up in years. I've been
asking around about a hormone that may stop all the spawning. So far.... no
luck. We're considering pulling off the nets, selling off all the fish and
turning the ponds in to wildlife ponds.

Do you cull a pond? (I hate to think about this).

Yes, or the ponds would reach critical numbers of fish and crash.

If so, how is it done humanely?

Anything deformed or not salable for some reason is given to locals who want
fish for mosquito control. We're in a rural area so farm ponds abound.
These culls don't last long enough to breed in open ponds due to predation.

Thank you in advance. We rescue spiders in the house and release them
outdoors, so the idea of killing our pond inhabitants is not attractive.

I'm with you 100%. I'm against the killing of animals except for food.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-06-2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"old dirtbeard" wrote:

[...]

I put mosquito fish in my pond to keep that population down. As a desirable
side effect, they are also very effective at keeping the spawn population
down too. In the past two years I have had just 1 shibunkin make it to
adulthood. Where in so cal do you live? County vector control usually gives
them away.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Interbreeding ~ jan[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 1 17-06-2007 05:50 PM
INTERBREEDING? NeptuneB Ponds 3 22-10-2003 03:22 AM
Rosie Reds and Comets DePonder Ponds 3 05-09-2003 04:02 PM
Catchin Comets? JoeT Ponds 8 12-07-2003 04:20 AM
Sick Comets J. Lamont Ponds 5 10-07-2003 09:47 PM