Old 14-06-2007, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default first raspberries picked

On Jun 14, 10:19 am, (Jim Jackson) wrote:
Yesterday I picked my first raspberries, a few All Gold and Autumn
Bliss(*) - the earliest I can remember. There was even one Tayberry ripe
too.

Jim

* - I leave a few (mainly-)unfruited canes when I prune down my autumn
fruiting raspberries in January. They alsways seem to come earlier than my
summer varieties, but not previously this early.

My summer fruiting raspberries are about to turn colour, and there is
a bumper crop there, if the birds give us a chance.
I have given up on netting, because too many birds got caught into the
net. I am thinking of trying the Tom Jones Greatest Hits Method which
works so well for brassicas and pigeons, to see if that discourages
the birds.

Cat(h)