Old 14-06-2007, 02:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default about the 26C highest germinating temp, of new grass seeds

On Jun 13, 8:06 pm, "bent" wrote:
holy cow man, thanks for the advice

bent, Eggs did give you good advice. I tried to also, several weeks
ago when you outlined your plan to delay seeding for weeks, trying to
hit some precise temp window. I told you then, you should have had
the seed down already, because it's better to be a little early than
to be trying to grow grass in summer.

I also pointed out that your poor past results are unlikely due to
timing vs temp, but more likely due to other issues. If it were
necessary to hit some precise temp window, everyone would have trouble
growing grass, yet I don't see it happening. Folks seed in early
Spring and the grass grows.

I suggested if you have a reasonable size area, that you rent a slice
seeder to get the seed properly in the soil. Despite all your
posts, we still have no idea what you did, how you applied the seed,
prepared the soil, tested/adjusted PH?, applied starter fertilizer? or
anything else. But with one of your recent posts, we learned you're
trying to grow bluegrass in at least some areas of full shade.
That's another problem, because the bag of Scotts bluegrass you used
is suited best to full sun. It will probably do OK in partial shade,
but isn't likely to survive in full shade. There are shade mixes
designed for that.

So, if you want constructive help, I would suggest you stop focusing
soley on temp and tell us some info about what exactly the project is,
what the conditions are, and what you did.

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message

bent said:

Well I've got a lot of tiny 1/4" - 3/4" little blades,

[...]

You need to quit over-thinking this whole grass thing, and quit worrying
about the temperature(s) stated on the bag. You have absolutely *no*
control over the temperature. Since the time that you've planted the seed,
most likely what will germinate, already has. If it hasn't already
germinated, it most likely won't. Keep the area moist, gradually cutting
back on the watering, giving it a deep soaking as needed (around 1" per
week), and let nature run it's course. Good grief, man. Give the "freaking
out" a rest.

--

Eggs

If there was any logic in this world, it would be men who ride
side-saddle,
not women.

----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----- Hide quoted text -