Old 13-06-2007, 05:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default about the 26C highest germinating temp, of new grass seeds

Well I've got a lot of tiny 1/4" - 3/4" little blades, and I've got a lot of
nothing. I am curious how to interpret the "seeds will not germinate above
26C" statement on the bag. Best, 15-26C average, but not at all above 26C.

I have been interpreting the 15-26C temp directions to mean that the temp
now, on average, means its a good time to seed. However, because the temp
is getting above 26C for the whole days now, its now 27C, even up to 31C,
but not too much over 27 or 28; right now its 26.

So what happens now that it is 1 or 2 degrees C above 26, all day of
sunlight long. But it is several degrees below 26C all night, or for over
50%, so the average is still in the sweet spot. If I could have predicted,
I would have tried to arrange daytime temps no greater than 26, but never
below 15C. The heat (out of directions) has been here a week, and I've got
about a week to go I think to tell whats what wrt whats gonna germinate.
The 15C would have been in play if I started a week earlier. I'm in
Toronto. I'm also FOS.

So what is gonna happen to the seeds that haven't started yet, but would
have, a greater area than have started; and what is gonna happen to the
little blades that have started? Will they "work" at night (because of the
50% 26C) , or are they too much affected (because of the 50% 26C) to work?

Old 13-06-2007, 11:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

bent said:

Well I've got a lot of tiny 1/4" - 3/4" little blades,

[...]

You need to quit over-thinking this whole grass thing, and quit worrying
about the temperature(s) stated on the bag. You have absolutely *no*
control over the temperature. Since the time that you've planted the seed,
most likely what will germinate, already has. If it hasn't already
germinated, it most likely won't. Keep the area moist, gradually cutting
back on the watering, giving it a deep soaking as needed (around 1" per
week), and let nature run it's course. Good grief, man. Give the "freaking
out" a rest.

--

Eggs

If there was any logic in this world, it would be men who ride side-saddle,
not women.

Old 14-06-2007, 02:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Default absolutely *no* control over 'that'

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

[....]

You have absolutely *no*
control over the temperature.

this reminds me of what the man at the Farm supply center told
me this morning. "when applying this product be sure to apply
it 2 hours before it rains."

I tried not to LOL, I really did.. he restated, "you need to
hope it don't rain until 2 hours after you apply this product."
Old 14-06-2007, 02:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 13, 8:06 pm, "bent" wrote:
holy cow man, thanks for the advice

bent, Eggs did give you good advice. I tried to also, several weeks
ago when you outlined your plan to delay seeding for weeks, trying to
hit some precise temp window. I told you then, you should have had
the seed down already, because it's better to be a little early than
to be trying to grow grass in summer.

I also pointed out that your poor past results are unlikely due to
timing vs temp, but more likely due to other issues. If it were
necessary to hit some precise temp window, everyone would have trouble
growing grass, yet I don't see it happening. Folks seed in early
Spring and the grass grows.

I suggested if you have a reasonable size area, that you rent a slice
seeder to get the seed properly in the soil. Despite all your
posts, we still have no idea what you did, how you applied the seed,
prepared the soil, tested/adjusted PH?, applied starter fertilizer? or
anything else. But with one of your recent posts, we learned you're
trying to grow bluegrass in at least some areas of full shade.
That's another problem, because the bag of Scotts bluegrass you used
is suited best to full sun. It will probably do OK in partial shade,
but isn't likely to survive in full shade. There are shade mixes
designed for that.

So, if you want constructive help, I would suggest you stop focusing
soley on temp and tell us some info about what exactly the project is,
what the conditions are, and what you did.

----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----- Hide quoted text -

Old 14-06-2007, 08:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Well without measuring each and every seed with a rule, this is the fourth
attempt, with a second or third bag of seeds, that this is in majority a
failure. Howver there is lots of new grass. Its a total write off in total
sun, and best in mostly shade. I began by just pointing out that early
spring and the temp directions on the bag do not jive in Toronto. All I
learned is that it doesn't matter when; I am doomed to failure. Just the
facts. But its only been 2 weeks. I think I should be persistent for 3
before I taper off watering every three hours to be fair. I will keep it up
at least 2 or 3 times per day till then.

Old 15-06-2007, 12:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[top posting fixed]

bent said:

Well I've got a lot of tiny 1/4" - 3/4" little blades,

[...]

You need to quit over-thinking this whole grass thing, and quit worrying
about the temperature(s) stated on the bag. You have absolutely *no*
control over the temperature. Since the time that you've planted the seed,
most likely what will germinate, already has. If it hasn't already
germinated, it most likely won't. Keep the area moist, gradually cutting
back on the watering, giving it a deep soaking as needed (around 1" per
week), and let nature run it's course. Good grief, man. Give the "freaking
out" a rest.

--

[borked OE quoting snipped]

[newsfeed's bullshit non-compliant sig snipped]

holy cow man, thanks for the advice

Get a ****ing tissue. You've whined about the same thing, asked the same
questions, and got the same answers for literally, weeks. People ask you
for more information and you ignore the requests, instead focusing on the
temperatures stated on the bag of seed. In your recent reply to trader, you
said...

But its only been 2 weeks. I think I should be persistent for 3
before I taper off watering every three hours to be fair. I will keep it up
at least 2 or 3 times per day till then.

You get advice, yet state that you clearly know best. Whatever. There are
/no/ magic numbers, beit temps or number of times to water. You need to
check the condition of the soil, and go from there. That'll go right over
your head, I'm sure, and you'll post yet more whines about "the bag says
this temp, but it's a couple degrees higher". You've clearly got
temp-tunnel-vision. Maybe there's a support group for that, that you should
seek.

Face it, you chose the wrong type of grass for the area, and spring is not
the best time to sow cool season grass seed. By *far* the best time to sow
cool season grass seed is the fall, but you'll never understand that, will
you. It can be done, sure. But it's a helluva lot more work, and the
possibility of disappointment is also far greater. If you want a bluegrass
lawn, cut down some trees. If you want grass in your shaded areas, choose a
more appropriate species.

Maybe you should give up on the seeding idea, and just spend the money for
some sod.

--

Eggs

- The Lady of the Lake-- her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held
aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine
providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your
king!

Old 16-06-2007, 12:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"bent" wrote:
I'm glad I checked in and see you have everything under control.

Stands to reason, in some ways this is a control product group.
Old 16-06-2007, 06:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

If I buy Vista Ultimate/Premium upgrade and XP full can I use one of each on
two of my own computers at the same time? As opposed to buying the one full
Vista, which I assume can't be installed on my two computers at the same
time, and updated whenever, even if those two computers are on the same
phone line. The price would be about the same either way. Nobody else
would get copies. I want it/them to be able to connect to the MS update
sites whenever.

"Steveo" wrote in message
"bent" wrote:
I'm glad I checked in and see you have everything under control.

Stands to reason, in some ways this is a control product group.

Purslane Highest plant with omega 3 Bill who putters Gardening 1 15-03-2010 02:17 AM
Highest Quality Tree Education symplastless Gardening 1 29-05-2008 03:44 AM
Highest Price Paid at a Society Auction? Diana Kulaga Orchids 10 25-11-2005 12:16 AM
Highest Quality Pumps stricks760 Ponds 2 08-07-2003 02:08 PM
Germinating ornamental grass seeds? Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 31-01-2003 03:40 AM