Old 15-06-2007, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
jangchub jangchub is offline

Default Insect I.D. please

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:18:01 -0400, Ann wrote:

Sheldon expounded:

ctlady wrote:
This morning while I was hoeing my garden, a beetle type insect came
out of the soil the likes of which I've never seen. It was about 5/8'
- 3/4" long, a two-sectioned body, and the color all over was a bright
limey, chartreuse green, very shiny. No other color. Can anybody
I.D. it from this brief description? I'm in northwestern Connecticut.

Sure sounds like a Japanese beetle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_beetle

Right now is about when they first emerge in your area.

I've never, ever seen a JB as big as 3/4".

There are tens of thousands of named beetles. This could be:

iridescent greenback
dogbane beetle
green tiger beetle

Any number of beetles. Do a search on green beetles.