Old 14-06-2007, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Insect I.D. please

This morning while I was hoeing my garden, a beetle type insect came
out of the soil the likes of which I've never seen. It was about 5/8'
- 3/4" long, a two-sectioned body, and the color all over was a bright
limey, chartreuse green, very shiny. No other color. Can anybody
I.D. it from this brief description? I'm in northwestern Connecticut.

ctlady

Old 15-06-2007, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

ctlady wrote:
This morning while I was hoeing my garden, a beetle type insect came
out of the soil the likes of which I've never seen. It was about 5/8'
- 3/4" long, a two-sectioned body, and the color all over was a bright
limey, chartreuse green, very shiny. No other color. Can anybody
I.D. it from this brief description? I'm in northwestern Connecticut.

Sure sounds like a Japanese beetle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_beetle

Right now is about when they first emerge in your area.

Old 15-06-2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Sheldon expounded:

ctlady wrote:
This morning while I was hoeing my garden, a beetle type insect came
out of the soil the likes of which I've never seen. It was about 5/8'
- 3/4" long, a two-sectioned body, and the color all over was a bright
limey, chartreuse green, very shiny. No other color. Can anybody
I.D. it from this brief description? I'm in northwestern Connecticut.

Sure sounds like a Japanese beetle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_beetle

Right now is about when they first emerge in your area.

I've never, ever seen a JB as big as 3/4".
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 15-06-2007, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:18:01 -0400, Ann wrote:

Sheldon expounded:

ctlady wrote:
This morning while I was hoeing my garden, a beetle type insect came
out of the soil the likes of which I've never seen. It was about 5/8'
- 3/4" long, a two-sectioned body, and the color all over was a bright
limey, chartreuse green, very shiny. No other color. Can anybody
I.D. it from this brief description? I'm in northwestern Connecticut.

Sure sounds like a Japanese beetle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_beetle

Right now is about when they first emerge in your area.

I've never, ever seen a JB as big as 3/4".

There are tens of thousands of named beetles. This could be:

iridescent greenback
dogbane beetle
green tiger beetle

Any number of beetles. Do a search on green beetles.
Old 15-06-2007, 05:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lar Lar is offline

ctlady wrote:
This morning while I was hoeing my garden, a beetle type insect came
out of the soil the likes of which I've never seen. It was about 5/8'
- 3/4" long, a two-sectioned body, and the color all over was a bright
limey, chartreuse green, very shiny. No other color. Can anybody
I.D. it from this brief description? I'm in northwestern Connecticut.

ctlady

Maybe... Caterpillar Hunter, Calosoma scrutator , but it's just another
"guess".

Lar

Old 15-06-2007, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
Sheldon wrote:

ctlady wrote:
This morning while I was hoeing my garden, a beetle type insect came
out of the soil the likes of which I've never seen. It was about 5/8'
- 3/4" long, a two-sectioned body, and the color all over was a bright
limey, chartreuse green, very shiny. No other color. Can anybody
I.D. it from this brief description? I'm in northwestern Connecticut.

Sure sounds like a Japanese beetle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_beetle

Right now is about when they first emerge in your area.

If this idiot is right then you have a really good chance of being hit
by lighting right now.

- Billy
I mean dumb.
Old 15-06-2007, 11:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:34:02 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article .com,
Sheldon wrote:

ctlady wrote:
This morning while I was hoeing my garden, a beetle type insect came
out of the soil the likes of which I've never seen. It was about 5/8'
- 3/4" long, a two-sectioned body, and the color all over was a bright
limey, chartreuse green, very shiny. No other color. Can anybody
I.D. it from this brief description? I'm in northwestern Connecticut.

Sure sounds like a Japanese beetle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_beetle

Right now is about when they first emerge in your area.

If this idiot is right then you have a really good chance of being hit
by lighting right now.

- Billy

Is it really necessary or helpful to call names to posters who are
trying to answer a question?

It is entiriely possible that this is a JB. Perhaps the OP or the
answer are bit off on their size estimates. The OP clearly posted
5/8' when she meant 5/8". Certainly a JB can be nearly that big.

The color description can also be the result of a slightly errant
observation due to lighting, reflections, etc. JB have an
"irridescent sheen" that can give the appearance described or close to
it. Have you ever seen an emerging JB?

Lighten up and be learn some polite conversation skills..

John
Old 15-06-2007, 12:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote:
Sheldon expounded:

ctlady wrote:
This morning while I was hoeing my garden, a beetle type insect came
out of the soil the likes of which I've never seen. It was about 5/8'
- 3/4" long, a two-sectioned body, and the color all over was a bright
limey, chartreuse green, very shiny. No other color. Can anybody
I.D. it from this brief description? I'm in northwestern Connecticut.

Sure sounds like a Japanese beetle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_beetle

Right now is about when they first emerge in your area.

I've never, ever seen a JB as big as 3/4".

Good morning,

Your insect sounds more like the green June beetle, Cotinus nitida,
which is about 3/4 inch long. A simple Google search should bring up a
picture to compare. Related to Japanese beetle and similar pest qualities.

n Peace,

Russ
Old 15-06-2007, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
John Bachman wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:34:02 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article .com,
Sheldon wrote:

ctlady wrote:
[...]

OK John, I'll put it back in the holster. My conversational skills seem
to reflect the tone that I hear. But this jack-ass started it by
disparaging another poster here and refuseing to state the reasons he
had in disparaging JoeSpareBedroom. Joe don't need my help. The little
bugger just ticked me off but it's always nice to hear from you.

Finally, getting some heat here. 95 F for the last three days. Plants
are startin' to jump. Thinkin' I'm ready for some morning fog again.

Shouldn't you be getting back to hoeing your rocks?:-)

- Billy

[IMG] code is On

insect i.d. please a.c. United Kingdom 5 03-07-2006 07:48 PM
Insect Spray For Tree Suggestions, Please. (leaves being eaten) Robert11 Lawns 5 01-05-2006 10:56 PM
Could someone please ID this insect for me? Mack McKinnon Texas 6 12-12-2004 04:17 PM
Frightening insect - ID Please! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 14 30-08-2004 06:16 PM
Insect Help Please STEVEN STEIN Edible Gardening 9 25-05-2004 03:10 PM