Old 15-06-2007, 12:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Russ[_2_] Russ[_2_] is offline

Default Insect I.D. please

Ann wrote:
Sheldon expounded:

ctlady wrote:
This morning while I was hoeing my garden, a beetle type insect came
out of the soil the likes of which I've never seen. It was about 5/8'
- 3/4" long, a two-sectioned body, and the color all over was a bright
limey, chartreuse green, very shiny. No other color. Can anybody
I.D. it from this brief description? I'm in northwestern Connecticut.

Sure sounds like a Japanese beetle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_beetle

Right now is about when they first emerge in your area.

I've never, ever seen a JB as big as 3/4".

Good morning,

Your insect sounds more like the green June beetle, Cotinus nitida,
which is about 3/4 inch long. A simple Google search should bring up a
picture to compare. Related to Japanese beetle and similar pest qualities.

n Peace,

Russ