Old 15-06-2007, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Gunnera

"David (Normandy)" writes

Does rhubarb grow well in consistently moist soil?

There is "moist" and "moist". My gunnera is planted in very wet ground where
it is thriving. However my rhubarb which was planted in a fairly dry
position (most of the year) but got waterlogged over Winter - it died and
the roots rotted. Ironically it was quite dry over Summer and needed
watering as it kept flagging. Lesson learned - do not plant rhubarb where it
may get waterlogged over Winter.

I'm not sure if rhubarb and gunnera are related or if the visual similarity
is just superficial?

Superficial. Rhubarb is in the dock family, Gunnera is in Gunneraceae
--
Kay