Old 11-06-2007, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gunnera

I would like to grow gunnera. However I've noticed that the garden centres
don't exactly give them away!

Has anyone experience of growing them from seed and is this a sensible
option? If so where might I obtain seed?

mark

Old 11-06-2007, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:55:01 +0100, "Mark"
wrote:

I would like to grow gunnera. However I've noticed that the garden centres
don't exactly give them away!

Has anyone experience of growing them from seed and is this a sensible
option? If so where might I obtain seed?

mark

Never grown them but they like moist conditions. A friend has one
growing in the drainage area of their septic tank. Does it grow!

Seeds from Chiltern Seeds: http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chilternseeds/

--
Chris

Old 13-06-2007, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark" wrote in message
I would like to grow gunnera. However I've noticed that the garden centres
don't exactly give them away!

Has anyone experience of growing them from seed and is this a sensible
option? If so where might I obtain seed?

mark

Don't rule out the garden centres as gunnera grows quickly and usually forms
seperate crowns which can be divided- I got 4 plants from one potbound
purchase.They flower easily-like a thin fir tree-which is a source of seed.
I've read that, if the seeds do come through the, seedlings need a bit of
looking after for the first year.

Old 13-06-2007, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 11, 5:55 pm, "Mark" wrote:
I would like to grow gunnera. However I've noticed that the garden centres
don't exactly give them away!

Has anyone experience of growing them from seed and is this a sensible
option? If so where might I obtain seed?

mark

I bought a very small one in a 2 l pot 3 years ago from a garden
centre for about €5. It has since flourished despite being in a less
than optimally moist spot, and though it is still of a small size (for
a gunnera), it is growing massively each year. It now takes up an
area of about 4 sq m, and is over 1.5m tall. If you're patient enough
for seeds, you might be patient enough for a small plant in a small
pot?

Cat(h)

Old 14-06-2007, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue Sue is offline

Gunnera? It grows wild in Ireland. Like wildfire!

I grow rhubarb by the pond. You can eat it too!

Sue W.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Old 15-06-2007, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

"Mark" wrote in message

I would like to grow gunnera. However I've noticed that the garden centres
don't exactly give them away!

Has anyone experience of growing them from seed and is this a sensible
option? If so where might I obtain seed?

mark- Hide quoted text -

Does rhubarb grow well in consistently moist soil?

Old 15-06-2007, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Does rhubarb grow well in consistently moist soil?

There is "moist" and "moist". My gunnera is planted in very wet ground where
it is thriving. However my rhubarb which was planted in a fairly dry
position (most of the year) but got waterlogged over Winter - it died and
the roots rotted. Ironically it was quite dry over Summer and needed
watering as it kept flagging. Lesson learned - do not plant rhubarb where it
may get waterlogged over Winter.

I'm not sure if rhubarb and gunnera are related or if the visual similarity
is just superficial?

David.

Old 15-06-2007, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"David (Normandy)" writes

Does rhubarb grow well in consistently moist soil?

There is "moist" and "moist". My gunnera is planted in very wet ground where
it is thriving. However my rhubarb which was planted in a fairly dry
position (most of the year) but got waterlogged over Winter - it died and
the roots rotted. Ironically it was quite dry over Summer and needed
watering as it kept flagging. Lesson learned - do not plant rhubarb where it
may get waterlogged over Winter.

I'm not sure if rhubarb and gunnera are related or if the visual similarity
is just superficial?

Superficial. Rhubarb is in the dock family, Gunnera is in Gunneraceae
--
Kay
Old 17-06-2007, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue Sue is offline

"K" wrote in message
"David (Normandy)" writes

Does rhubarb grow well in consistently moist soil?

There is "moist" and "moist". My gunnera is planted in very wet ground
where
it is thriving. However my rhubarb which was planted in a fairly dry
position (most of the year) but got waterlogged over Winter - it died and
the roots rotted. Ironically it was quite dry over Summer and needed
watering as it kept flagging. Lesson learned - do not plant rhubarb where
it
may get waterlogged over Winter.

The rhubarb in question grows immediately behind the pond but it is not
planted like a proper marginal so it does not have wet feet and needs
watering in hot weather.

Sue W.

Old 25-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark[_6_] View Post
I would like to grow gunnera. However I've noticed that the garden centres
don't exactly give them away!

Has anyone experience of growing them from seed and is this a sensible
option? If so where might I obtain seed?

mark
hi mark.i bought 80 manicata seeds from ebay,there are lots for sale there.i also bought 3 plants in 9cm pot earlier this year from ebay and they are already 30cms tall and 50cms wide..i also obtained a gunnera from a garden centre,it was being sold off because it wasn't in best of condition,it's now 1 metres tall and 2 metres wide.i will try to collect my own seeds if its possible..

Old 25-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john "twicer " View Post
hi mark.i bought 80 manicata seeds from ebay,there are lots for sale there.i also bought 3 plants in 9cm pot earlier this year from ebay and they are already 30cms tall and 50cms wide..i also obtained a gunnera from a garden centre,it was being sold off because it wasn't in best of condition,it's now 1 metres tall and 2 metres wide.i will try to collect my own seeds if its possible..
ok, trade secret coming up !! if you dont know how, the hard bit is extracting the seed from said flower/seed spike but here's how I do it ! Remove the seed spike when most of the seeds are orange, put the whole thing in a large black bin bag and throw it under the bench in the greenhouse with a little water in the bag. Leave it for a couple of months and you'll end up with a brown gooey mass, tip this into a bucket, add water and agitate. then slowly overflow the bucket, which removes the 'goo' and you'll find thousands of clean seeds in the bottom of the bucket ! Make sure you remove every scrap of 'goo' as this, like most fleshy seed heads contains chemicals to inhibit germination (until spring) sow straight away on bottom heat, simple !
Lannerman.
Last year, I had thousands of seedlings

Gunnera junkyardcat Gardening 3 10-03-2005 03:22 PM
gunnera, will it wilt in zone 7a peter Gardening 2 10-11-2003 03:12 PM
Gunnera (sp?) Derek Turner United Kingdom 11 05-04-2003 09:20 PM
Gunnera Manicata Jonathan Ward United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 04:27 PM
Gunnera Manicata Martin Sykes United Kingdom 4 06-02-2003 05:03 PM