Old 30-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Nedra

Default stablize pond sides in sandy soil

John, I have sandy soil. First year my pond was in, the sides began
to cave in. I hired a couple of guys who knew the solution..
Get enough concrete blocks to line your pond. Drain your pond* -
pull back the liner then dig down a ways to set the concrete
blocks on. Put rebar in the holes of the concrete blocks... about
a foot apart. Fill the holes with dirt mixed with concrete. Let dry
for several days. Cover the blocks with liner and refill the pond.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*When draining the pond do save the water. You can use it again
when you refill the pond. The fish will have been put in a kiddie
pool with a fountain. Cover with net.

Good Luck!

Nedra

"John Bachman" wrote in message
I have dug out my pond. Our soil is pure sand below the loam - easy
digging but not good for stable, vertical sides. How can I keep the
sides nearly vertical? I have heard of mixing some cement with the
soil to give it more adhesion.

Does anyone have experience with this or other techniques?

TIA

John