Old 15-06-2007, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default When is it too late to sow seeds outside?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm located in the North East and am new to vegetable gardening. I
want to sow some seeds outside: squash, french beans, peas, broccoli
and courgette. On the back of the packets it tells me that I can sow
them directly into the ground in June at the latest but I still need
to get my plot sorted out (dig it and add compost). It's raining cats
and dogs and I've heard it's not good for the soil to dig/cultivate it
when it's wet. So should I wait, plant the seeds in some pots to get
them going or get my act together and get the plot sorted asap?

If I were you I'd get them going in seed trays / small pots in some seed
compost on a window sill or two and wait until the ground is dry enough to
work or you will just create a sludgy mess.

David.