Old 16-06-2007, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bazza Bazza is offline

Default When is it too late to sow seeds outside?

steve auvache wrote:
In article , Bazza
writes
steve auvache wrote:
In article . com,
writes
I'm located in the North East and am new to vegetable gardening.

If you are able, sow the peas directly into the ground rather than pots
as this is A Good Thing. They have deep roots and aren't that fond of
the shallowness of a pot.

Good luck with it.

I sow my peas in the greenhouse in old toilet roll tubes, this gives
enough depth to grow and brings them on quickly, as the roots start to
show at the base I transplant the whole lot without root disturbance.

A variation on the 2 foot long tubes of rolled up newspaper my
Grandfather used to use to start his prize winning exhibition sweet
peas. Far too much messing around for my tastes but effective
certainly.

Ah the memories, I used that method way back in the 60's when I was 15,
My grandfather showed me.
Don't buy newspapers nowadays, get all the info I need from the TV and
t'internet. Always plenty of bog and kitchen roll tubes in our house and
as we drink a lot of flavoured bottled water there is a plentiful supply
of bottles with the bottoms cut off to put over the seedlings and keep
the snails at bay until they get established