Old 17-06-2007, 09:49 PM
good gardens good gardens is offline
Registered User

Location: North Somerset, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergamot View Post
Hello, this is my first posting.
I grow plants, mostly perennials, to sell for charity. This year I have planted some hanging baskets and pouches with a variety of annuals, mostly plug plants. In the last couple of weeks the Busy Lizzie leaves have started to yellow and I am wondering if I am over-watering, underwatering or not feeding enough. I am watering whenever I can not squeeze water out of the bottom of the basket/pouch and am feeding once a fortnight as recommended on the liquid feed container. There are slow release granules mixed into the compost.

I read somewhere on here that baskets should be watered morning and night, 3 times at each session! Rather concerned about doing that up here in Scotland.

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Thank you

You are right in thinking that you are over-watering - annual busy lizzies tend to prefer a moist BUT well drained soil - I also suspect that your zealous watering is washing out any nutrients that you are applying by feeding. Let them dry out a bit and they'll soon pick up. One other thing, they tend to prefer a shadier spot - not full sun