Old 16-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Scotland
Default Advice please on yellowing Busy Lizzies?

Hello, this is my first posting.
I grow plants, mostly perennials, to sell for charity. This year I have planted some hanging baskets and pouches with a variety of annuals, mostly plug plants. In the last couple of weeks the Busy Lizzie leaves have started to yellow and I am wondering if I am over-watering, underwatering or not feeding enough. I am watering whenever I can not squeeze water out of the bottom of the basket/pouch and am feeding once a fortnight as recommended on the liquid feed container. There are slow release granules mixed into the compost.

I read somewhere on here that baskets should be watered morning and night, 3 times at each session! Rather concerned about doing that up here in Scotland.

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Thank you
Old 17-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Registered User

Location: North Somerset, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergamot View Post
Hello, this is my first posting.
I grow plants, mostly perennials, to sell for charity. This year I have planted some hanging baskets and pouches with a variety of annuals, mostly plug plants. In the last couple of weeks the Busy Lizzie leaves have started to yellow and I am wondering if I am over-watering, underwatering or not feeding enough. I am watering whenever I can not squeeze water out of the bottom of the basket/pouch and am feeding once a fortnight as recommended on the liquid feed container. There are slow release granules mixed into the compost.

I read somewhere on here that baskets should be watered morning and night, 3 times at each session! Rather concerned about doing that up here in Scotland.

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Thank you

You are right in thinking that you are over-watering - annual busy lizzies tend to prefer a moist BUT well drained soil - I also suspect that your zealous watering is washing out any nutrients that you are applying by feeding. Let them dry out a bit and they'll soon pick up. One other thing, they tend to prefer a shadier spot - not full sun
Old 21-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by good gardens View Post
You are right in thinking that you are over-watering - annual busy lizzies tend to prefer a moist BUT well drained soil - I also suspect that your zealous watering is washing out any nutrients that you are applying by feeding. Let them dry out a bit and they'll soon pick up.
Thank you for replying!

I have slowed down on the watering but the rain is preventing any drying out, at the moment!

Do you think baskets should be feed more often than once a fortnight?

Busy Lizzies - why? Jim S United Kingdom 7 15-09-2016 09:37 AM
Will Busy Lizzies survive indoors? gardening_nut Gardening 4 11-09-2010 12:09 PM
busy lizzies sugar1 Gardening 2 08-05-2008 09:04 PM
Busy Lizzies - couple of questions maxman United Kingdom 7 18-10-2005 10:17 PM
Best balcony pelargonium & bizzie lizzies Victoria Clare United Kingdom 3 31-10-2003 11:03 AM