Old 17-06-2007, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose Glenna Rose is offline

Default Organic Food Helps Revive Fortunes of Europe?s Farmers

writes:
[snip]

Don't worry, there will be another idiot along in a minute or so to tell
you that organic farming is a crock. But, you might, just might, get
someone who asks, "Why is it better?" and then, you can pass on the word.

[snip]

Reminded of years ago talking with my teenage neighbor who was debating on
the existence of heaven and whether we should be as moral, etc., as we can
be as mere human beings. I quietly and patiently listened to his
arguments which were, in his mind, totally valid.

My response to him was along the lines of: If you are right and there is
no atonement when we leave this life, I have lost nothing. But if I am
right, where will you be?

It is rather like that with organic gardening and/or making an attempt to
leave our planet in better shape than when we arrived here. It does seem
to be a trend in human beings that if one needs to take a little extra
effort to help out in general, even for oneself, it gets in the way, even
it it means poor health to self and those around one, forget it because,
after all, we have no "proof" that it makes a difference so why bother.
(Though I do wonder what Arctic dwellers think of this.)

About seedlings, this year I planted in the cell trays, the first time for
me, and transplanted and all that. When I was transplanting the second
time, I realized that the only tomato plants were Stupice. I quickly
planted more tomato seeds, but I have Stupice plants giving those huge
plants bought at the greenhouse some real competition for growth. It will
be an interesting and Stupice-filled summer. So much for planning; if
those cells had been balanced with different varieties, it would have been
better. Perhaps next year, I will be thinking more clearly! I console
myself that Stupice is a good all-around tomato . . . and my friends love
the free plants!

Anyone have some good suggestions for actually growing birdhouse gourds
and luffa? Only two of each have grown and they are very, very slow
growing. I really would like to get something from them this years; in
years past, the largest either got was about one foot. That's the plant,
not the fruit. Bummer.

Glenna