Old 17-06-2007, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Organic Food Helps Revive Fortunes of Europe?s Farmers

writes:
[snip]

Don't worry, there will be another idiot along in a minute or so to tell
you that organic farming is a crock. But, you might, just might, get
someone who asks, "Why is it better?" and then, you can pass on the word.

[snip]

Reminded of years ago talking with my teenage neighbor who was debating on
the existence of heaven and whether we should be as moral, etc., as we can
be as mere human beings. I quietly and patiently listened to his
arguments which were, in his mind, totally valid.

My response to him was along the lines of: If you are right and there is
no atonement when we leave this life, I have lost nothing. But if I am
right, where will you be?

It is rather like that with organic gardening and/or making an attempt to
leave our planet in better shape than when we arrived here. It does seem
to be a trend in human beings that if one needs to take a little extra
effort to help out in general, even for oneself, it gets in the way, even
it it means poor health to self and those around one, forget it because,
after all, we have no "proof" that it makes a difference so why bother.
(Though I do wonder what Arctic dwellers think of this.)

About seedlings, this year I planted in the cell trays, the first time for
me, and transplanted and all that. When I was transplanting the second
time, I realized that the only tomato plants were Stupice. I quickly
planted more tomato seeds, but I have Stupice plants giving those huge
plants bought at the greenhouse some real competition for growth. It will
be an interesting and Stupice-filled summer. So much for planning; if
those cells had been balanced with different varieties, it would have been
better. Perhaps next year, I will be thinking more clearly! I console
myself that Stupice is a good all-around tomato . . . and my friends love
the free plants!

Anyone have some good suggestions for actually growing birdhouse gourds
and luffa? Only two of each have grown and they are very, very slow
growing. I really would like to get something from them this years; in
years past, the largest either got was about one foot. That's the plant,
not the fruit. Bummer.

Glenna

Old 18-06-2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article fc.003d0941022acc123b9aca005e71a502.22acc54@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:
[...]

From the atom on up, everything is trying to find the lowest energy
level. It is the law of entropy. Lazy is built into the system. On the
positive side, energy in usually results in more energy out. Empathy is
a corner stone of society. Without altruism, we would just be a pack of
wild animals. Soul, no soul, it doesn't make sense to me. I just want to
be a good actor in the story that is unfolding. As Willie the Shake
said,
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts, . . ."

(from As You Like It 2/7)

In the end, you have to make your peace with your conscience, your God,
what ever. It pleases me that, even if it is for a short time, the soil
in my garden is better, physiologically my plants as healthier, and the
person I love most, eats better. Not a bad deal.

Growing my first stupice this year. I have ten different heirloom
tomatoes in the garden this year. Trying to get a handel on what is
available. I also have a volunteer. Could be a juliet x German strip.
Curious to find out.

My birdhouse gourd is starting to move in this heat. I haven't fish
emulsioned it and the rest of the garden like I should have but it is
mulched and regularly watered and I have it on the trellis with the
peas, which I expect to go toes up in about 30 days.

My excuse is that I got a lated start after leaving my first two
germination trays out in the sun with their lids on. Just fried
everything.

From luffas I know nothing. Do you eat them or bath with them?

What's your zone and climate like?

- Bill