Old 17-06-2007, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue Sue is offline

Default Gunnera

"K" wrote in message
"David (Normandy)" writes

Does rhubarb grow well in consistently moist soil?

There is "moist" and "moist". My gunnera is planted in very wet ground
where
it is thriving. However my rhubarb which was planted in a fairly dry
position (most of the year) but got waterlogged over Winter - it died and
the roots rotted. Ironically it was quite dry over Summer and needed
watering as it kept flagging. Lesson learned - do not plant rhubarb where
it
may get waterlogged over Winter.

The rhubarb in question grows immediately behind the pond but it is not
planted like a proper marginal so it does not have wet feet and needs
watering in hot weather.

Sue W.