Old 17-06-2007, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Starting to wonder about getting a greenhouse

"Chris" wrote
after Bob Hobden asked
"Chris"
Starting to wonder about getting a greenhouse.
Don't know anything about it.
Any advice about where to begin my education?

Sounds like a silly question but it is pertinent...
What do you wish to grow in it?

Seedlings, tomatoes, cucumbers, possibly grapes ...
and then see what possibilities occur to me when the greenhouse is
available.

Position is traditionally on a North/South axis so both sides get sun. If
you have the land available position it on the north side of your land so
you have full control of light getting to your house. You wouldn't want it
on the S side and then find that neighbour plants a Leylandii hedge and just
lets it grow...seen that with two of my neighbours.

You will need roof vents and side louvers at ground level to get a good air
flow through the house and stop it getting too hot in summer, if you work
then get automatic openers for both.
See if you can get water and electricity laid on as they will make your life
much easier.

Don't rush in, take your time and look at all the makes and options.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden