Old 19-06-2007, 04:09 PM
old perennial old perennial is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Kent View Post
i made a shallow wildlife pond just before christmas gone,it has
gravel/pebbles.I am amazed at how wildlife has sprung from what seems
nowhere!Frogs/toads appeared,lots of pond snails,pond skates?,and tiny knat
looking things swimming about?And to my surprise whilst adding some plants
today spotted a newt!
Can you tell i am happy about this.
I find it amazing how a new pond can have such interest in such a short
period of time.
Thanks Keith
Nature are fantastic! I made a small one only say 1 sq m surface area but had a depth of 500mm at one end with a shelf only 50mm at the other. I put two small tiddler goldfish to eat the mossys. Planted the edges but put the plants in pond contaiers filled with gravel not soil. This reduces the greening effect. Add some oxygenating weed and everything balances out with clear water. Birds are bathing and drinking. hedgehogs visiting, its always alive with some activity. Much better than large showy ponds with filters, coi carp and money etc.