Old 19-06-2007, 10:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Gene Schurg Gene Schurg is offline

Default Trichocentrum pulchrum - my dilemma (2 photos)

John,

If they were in my collection I would probably note the names Jay puts to
them on the labels just so I can remember which is which. Unless, you are
planning to hybridize them or they are going to judging the name doesn't
mean much.

Officially, I would say that Kew overrules Jay.

You could just wait a year and some taxonomist will need a subject to write
his thesis on and probably change the name anyway.

Good growing,
Gene

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Two Trichocentrum plants were benched at the meeting. The one with a
yellow marked labellum was labelled Trichocentrum pulchrum. The one with
the red marked labellum was labelled Trichocentrum brandtiae. They looked
quite distinct. On checking the names on the Kew Monocots page, they list
Trichocentrum brandtiae as a synonym of Trichocentrum pulchrum. Jay Pfahl
has them as separate species. What do others think? Are they really the
same species? Who would want to be a taxonomist?

This species is found from Venezuela through to Peru.

--
John Varigos
Melbourne, Australia