Old 20-06-2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Teresa Canon Teresa Canon is offline

Default Cat poop in gardens - partial solutions

Plant catnip on the path that leads to the gardens as a diversion but
also keep the water pistol handy :-)

Jason
Virginia Nature Hills Nursery
http://vanursery.com

On Jun 16, 11:19 pm, "George.com" wrote:
There has been a degree of debate recently about stopping cats crapping on
gardens. I reckon I am better qualified to speak on this subject than most.
I have 4 cats, 3 of them thick and lazy, who delight in shitting on the lawn
or in gardens & make only a paltry effort to cover it up. One even took to
shitting on the deck.

2 solutions I can suggest. They will not totally eliminate the problem but
have been somewhat useful.

The first is a water pistol that gets applied to one cat whenever I see her
approach the deck. She is now wary of approaching it/pooing on it. She is
very thick so periodic repeated applications are necessary.

The other is setting up some large plant pots in the back yard. They had
some old dusty spent potting mix. I left them several months in the same
position & the cats used them as a toilet. Every few days I could turn the
poop into the soil or rain could do it for me. After some months I now have
very dark rich potting mix. The plants that have gone into the pots love it.
New pots can be resited for the cats to refresh the potting mix. It doesn't
totally solve the poop on lawns/gardens but acts as a useful diversion
point. Obviously don't use the potting mix for vegetables.

rob