Old 17-06-2007, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cat poop in gardens - partial solutions

There has been a degree of debate recently about stopping cats crapping on
gardens. I reckon I am better qualified to speak on this subject than most.
I have 4 cats, 3 of them thick and lazy, who delight in shitting on the lawn
or in gardens & make only a paltry effort to cover it up. One even took to
shitting on the deck.

2 solutions I can suggest. They will not totally eliminate the problem but
have been somewhat useful.

The first is a water pistol that gets applied to one cat whenever I see her
approach the deck. She is now wary of approaching it/pooing on it. She is
very thick so periodic repeated applications are necessary.

The other is setting up some large plant pots in the back yard. They had
some old dusty spent potting mix. I left them several months in the same
position & the cats used them as a toilet. Every few days I could turn the
poop into the soil or rain could do it for me. After some months I now have
very dark rich potting mix. The plants that have gone into the pots love it.
New pots can be resited for the cats to refresh the potting mix. It doesn't
totally solve the poop on lawns/gardens but acts as a useful diversion
point. Obviously don't use the potting mix for vegetables.

rob

Old 17-06-2007, 01:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:19:01 +1200, George.com wrote:

very thick so periodic repeated applications are necessary.

solution #2m bb gun
Old 17-06-2007, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

There has been a degree of debate recently about stopping cats crapping on

snip

point. Obviously don't use the potting mix for vegetables.

rob

I saw a cat **** on my electric fence. A funny sight, but only saw
him do it one time. I place rose bush canes or sweet-gum balls in
areas I do not want cats. I read that chicken wire works too, but I
havn't tried that. Spraying the cats with a watergun might work, but
cats are by nature, are sneaky.
Old 20-06-2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Plant catnip on the path that leads to the gardens as a diversion but
also keep the water pistol handy :-)

Jason
Virginia Nature Hills Nursery
http://vanursery.com

Old 20-06-2007, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

There has been a degree of debate recently about stopping cats crapping on

snip

point. Obviously don't use the potting mix for vegetables.

rob

I read that chicken wire works too, but I
havn't tried that.

Cats can scale chicken wire fences easily but they can't climb a
turkey wire fence.

cats are by nature, are sneaky.

The only people who think that are those with lower IQs than cats...
the only animal on the planet capable of being sneaky are humans.

I have six cats. I have a garden. My cats can't go into my garden
because they never go out. But there are some neighbor cats about and
they don't go into my garden either, they can't scale my 5' turkey
wire fence.

Now birds... crows can out poop any house cat. And you know what a
murder of crows think about any stinkin' turkey fence. LOL That's why
I have a big roll of nylon netting arriving this week. hehehe

This is the best:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...44&cat=2,51555

Old 21-06-2007, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:28:19 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

snip
I have six cats.

People who have numerous cats live in a stench and don't know it. Hope
you don't have guests over and never try to sell your house.
Old 21-06-2007, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Phisherman expounded:

People who have numerous cats live in a stench and don't know it. Hope
you don't have guests over and never try to sell your house.

Such a blanket statement from someone who hasn't got a clue. If you
keep the litterboxes clean there's no smell. I'll have no problem
whatsoever selling my house.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 21-06-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:07:17 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:28:19 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

snip
I have six cats.

People who have numerous cats live in a stench and don't know it. Hope
you don't have guests over and never try to sell your house.

Hahahahahahaha! Must be one of those lower IQ types. Humans stink
far worse than any cat ever could. Humans who don't change litter are
disgusting smell makers, not cats. There are a lot of very sick
people out there.
Old 21-06-2007, 03:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 20, 7:07?pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:28:19 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

snip

I have six cats.

People who have numerous cats live in a stench and don't know it. Hope
you don't have guests over and never try to sell your house.

Well of course... my cats shit and **** wherever, they don't have
litter boxes because I can't be bothered to lug around heavy sacks and
taht stuff is expensive. If you come to visit be careful where you
step or you'll be bringing cat poop home on your shoes. Sometimes
when I open my fridge a couple of cats slip in to take a dump, they
just wait for me to open the door to prepare dinner... it's uncanny
how cats know time. Once a week I scoop up the poop and toss it in
the freezer, once it's frozen solid it doesn't stink hardly at all. I
save it until winter, that's when I burn it in my wood stove... hey,
waste not want not.

Old 21-06-2007, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
Sheldon wrote:

[...]

Very significant
--
Billy

Old 21-06-2007, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:33:34 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

[...]

Excellent suggestions! What can I do with my parrot's poop? Even
though she is trained to poop in a waste basket, sometimes she
actually becomes a bird and poos either on me or a splatty in the
kitchen into the food. It's her specialty.
Old 21-06-2007, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

On Jun 20, 5:28 pm, Sheldon wrote:

I read that chicken wire works too, but I
havn't tried that.

Cats can scale chicken wire fences easily but they can't climb a
turkey wire fence.

Not a fence, the idea is you put the chicken wire on the ground kind
of like a mulch. It bugs the cats that they can't scratch around and
dig the way they like to on their toidy, so they go elsewhere. Other
suggestions are stuff like aluminum foil, but I don't see how that
would work in a garden. Rose branch trimmings seems like a good idea,
but I ended up impaling myself a lot.

Old 22-06-2007, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:33:27 -0700, z wrote:

On Jun 20, 5:28 pm, Sheldon wrote:

I read that chicken wire works too, but I
havn't tried that.

Cats can scale chicken wire fences easily but they can't climb a
turkey wire fence.

Not a fence, the idea is you put the chicken wire on the ground kind
of like a mulch. It bugs the cats that they can't scratch around and
dig the way they like to on their toidy, so they go elsewhere. Other
suggestions are stuff like aluminum foil, but I don't see how that
would work in a garden. Rose branch trimmings seems like a good idea,
but I ended up impaling myself a lot.

Sigh. Every so often I have to post what to me is the easiest
solution:

Orange peels. Cats hate citrus.

After you peel an orange, cut up the peel in small pieces and scatter
them among the plants. Especially useful on stretches of bare ground
or where seedlings are just coming up. Haven't had a problem yet!

Mothballs and cigarette butts also work, but unsightly and, in the
case of mothballs, might have a downside. And it's hard to find
smokers among one's friends and neighbors -- at least out here.

Viva la naranja!

Persephone